Lupins and aquilegia - leaf mould?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Deli, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Deli

Deli Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello out there!
    I've just joined the site and thought I'd say hello.
    I am really enjoying having a garden - first time and we are transforming it - but through experimentation rather than study and design...still it seems to be working out. Tasted our first cucumber the other night and it was gorgeous - we kept comparing it to a shop bought one and ours was better!

Anyway, any one out there got any advice for lupins and aquilegia? I have planted two in neutral soil, semi-shade but I've noticed a white colouration on the leaves. Is this leaf mould? Is it a sign of me doing something wrong? :confused:

I'd be really grateful for any advice...thanks, Deli

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Welcome, Deli! [​IMG] I can't answer your particular queries but I'm sure someone else can assist. Enjoy the site! :D

3. Deli

Deli Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow - love your place....! You have transformed it. Fantastic..........

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Thanks, Deli, there's still a long way to go but we persevere! [​IMG]

5. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Welcome Deli from London

BM [​IMG]

6. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi Deli and welcome [​IMG]

7. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi deli and a big welcome [​IMG]

8. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Hi Deli Welcome to GC!

9. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Deli and welcome.

If you could post a picture - it would help. It could well be powdery mildew. Mildew is a white fungal infection that sits on the leaves, rather than the leaves themselves turning white. Its a bit like the common cold for plants. It's around in the air - so you can never really stop it. But plants usually get mildew when their immune system is low. And the most probable cause of that at the moment is lack of water. It looks bad, but generally is not that harmful. There are lots of strains of mildew, and most plant suffer from a strain which is specific to that type of plant. Consequently one type of plant will not generally pass it onto another type (or Genus). But one Lupin can catch it from another Lupin.

If it is mildew and the plant has finished flowering (certainly the case for Aquilegia) I would cut back most of the affected parts and put the cuttings in the dustbin or burn them - not on a compost heap. This will have the added benefit of less moisture loss from the plant, which is probably what caused it in the first place. I would ensure that the plant is well watered (if you can). You can buy fungal sprays and spray the plant with that.

Some plants such as Monada and Phlox are more susceptable than others. You can spray to prevent it, but generally just keep them watered and ensure circulation of air round them. I have a bit in my garden, but I don't really like spraying. No need to worry too much.