Lychnis Coronaria 'Rose Campion'

Discussion in 'Roses' started by thatfatbloke, Feb 2, 2013.

1. thatfatbloke

thatfatbloke Apprentice Gardener

HGV Driver
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,last year I posted some pictures of something that appeared in my garden,and it was identified as the above. It's still there now,is it liable to flower again,should I have cut it back or anything?. I love this plant and would like to keep it. Thanks.

2. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,386
    I was looking at mine yesterday thinking the same,i have a few dotted about that i grew from seed but i didnt trim the flower stalks off or collect seed :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,090
      Yes, wonderful plant. I think it's a short-lived perennial, the basal rosette looks tatty over winter but will smarten up come spring and should flower again. You can trim the old long flower stalks to make it look tidier but con't cut off the leaves around the bottom, unless it's just a few of the tattiest to make it look better.

I find they seed around easily, (no need to collect them!) are very effort free, and are amenable to transplanting to a more convenient spot.

I like the pink ones best but I get white ones too, and occasionally pink/white combinations.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,015
        I agree with Madahhalia - a biennial or short lived perennial. I find they don't often live for a third year for me, but they seed freely. As the seedlings are quite distinctive its easy to lift them from where they have grown and replant them where you want them. In fact when I do any weeding, which is not often, I tend to pot up a few, along with Centranthus and Aquilegia seedlings that seem to be everywhere, just in case they can be of any use to me later or to anyone else.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          I often pull lychnis apart after flowering and replant or pot up. They are short lived but, like many plants, they are best in their first year.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +122,366
          We have some large patches that have bloomed for many years. I can't be sure that they aren't just new seedlings that have replaced their parents but the patches seem to grow bigger.

They self seed very easily and we're always digging lots of new plants up and selling them for charity.

We prune the stems right down to the leaves at the bottom each autumn.

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
          +23,829
          If you had them one year you will have them forever! You can also just pull them up, pull them apart and plant back in the ground if you wanted to split.