Magic Lantern

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Steve R, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Magic lantern is a free software that runs from your card on your camera, and makes extra features available to you, that you otherwise would not have. Its for Canon cameras only.

I started using "hacked" firmware three cameras ago when I had a 300D. "Hacked" was the term used then as it was not a canon produced piece of software, but made by canon users grouped together who called themselves the "Undutchables".

Anyway, it seems that Canon make the same camera firmware for all of their cameras, and just by programming your camera at the factory, it unlocks the availability of features you can use in your particular camera.

Back when I installed the undutchables hack onto my 300d, essentially it turned it into a 10d spec camera, a camera twice the money of what I had bought. The same thing happened with 400d and now with my present camera there is a much bigger ongoing project called Magic Lantern. http://www.magiclantern.fm/

If you have a Canon camera, you should go and have a look over there and see if your model is supported, and what it will add to your camera toolbox. Extensive discussion is available in their own forums to discuss how to install and models of camera they are presently working on to unlock features. Worth a look.

Steve...:)

I have no affiliation whatsoever with Magic Lantern...

• Like Like x 1
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +23,862
      I had never thought of hacking digital cameras. I have an olympus E-500 knocking about somewhere, wonder if there's anything I could do with that..?

What sort of benefits are you getting?