magnolia and clematis

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by shwn747, Apr 7, 2010.

1. shwn747

shwn747 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This year the magnolia has few blossoms ready to open and the camelia has one flower and yellowy leaves.
    All other camelias in the surrounding gardens are in full bloom and all have beautiful and deep green leaves.
    Are my plants in trouble or is it just a late arrival for both?

2. Agatha_M

Agatha_M Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya, it can be either that your camellia's location is not ideal, i.e. it is in a depression where cold gathers and remains or it is in a frost-affected niche. They hate cold winters like this one we experienced. Or, more likely, your soil contains too much chalk, which is bad for camellias and magnolias alike and results in the lack of blooming, especially in the magnolia's case.

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I'd support Agatha's suggestion regarding your soil. We've had the hardest winter for 30 years but our camellia is full of buds. It's too late now to do much that will improve on this year's blossoms, but it might be worth lifting the plant and replanting in a hole filled with good ericaceous compost and giving a feed of ericaceous feed.

4. shwn747

shwn747 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both for your replies.
    I have the camellia planted in a clay type soil and I think it does need lifting.
    The magnolia ,however, has taken about 8 years to establish itself and up until last year seemed to be flourishing well.
    I now notice that the buds are slowly opening so hope for a good show still remains.