Magnolia Damage

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by LC, Feb 14, 2009.

1. LC

LC Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    In all the excitement of the recent snow, a little boy fell into the middle of my Magnolia Soulangeana and snapped the main stem off. It was a gift, and has done well over the last 3 years, but I now fear for it's survival. Should I try and propagate the stem that broke off? If so, could someone advise me on best way forward?
    Thank you all so much for your endless patience and enthusiasm with us young gardening wannabees!

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Your unlikely to be able to propagate it from the broken stem.

But the main plant is unlikely to be dead, so I would just wait till spring and see where it shoots from.

maybe a bit of pruning for shape may be required next year.

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    They are very tough cookies. I cut down ours (with great regret) a couple of years ago and the stump still keeps putting up new growth.
    Make a clean cut across the broken stem and paint with wound sealant and just sit back and see what happens.

4. LC

LC Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both, I'm heartbroken that the main stem can't be revived, so will get some wound sealant today and cross everything!

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    They are very difficult plants to grow, they are one of those I steer clear of. Even if they are vigorouys a wet cold spring ruins them, but you`re right, they are beautiful plants.

I hope it goes okay for you-even if it takes some years before you see it`s full glory.