magnolia - should I prune shoots?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by julia298, May 12, 2009.

1. julia298

julia298 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Could anyone give me some on advice on what to do with a magnolia tree i was given.

Its a standard magnolia, in a pot, about 150cm tall. The tree has either been allowed to dry out or maybe the frost got it, but the main tree lost any leaves it had. It looks like it has furry little buds on the end of each branch but Im not sure if these are still alive as they havent developed into anything since appearing.

A sort of side shoot (Im sure theres a technical word for this) has grown out of the pot, which is full of leaves now. So Im not sure whther to cut off the side shoot to allow the main part of the tree to come back, or chop off the main tree and let the side shoot grow. (or neither and leave it as it is???):scratch:

I dont really want a tree that is bushy at the bottom. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Julia

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I would leave it be for a while and keep watering as normal.

Then you can see what develops and decide from there.

If the top is dead the bit at the bottom may be all you have :( but if the top comes to life you can chop off the unwanted bit at the bottom.