magnolia stellata leaves going brown - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by steven118, Jul 29, 2011.

1. steven118

steven118 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, and hope someone there can give advice. We have an old (25 yrs?) magnolia stellata growing close to the front of our house. This summer, many of the leaves, especially at the top, have developed brown dots, then started going brown at the edges, then eventually dying and falling off. Any ideas what might be causing this?

the tree has suffered from scale the last couple of years, but I have been as thorough as possible with brushing it off in the spring.

Thanks for any advice.
    Steven

Attached Files:

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352

Hi With Magnolia it could be several things , just been through a hard winter could be late winter frost that has effeceted the tree , or I think its lack of water as you have stated it grows by the house plus (very dry) it that time of year when they do start to drop off and they do get spots to start off with and then the leaves go brown , give it a good water every week , in the spring give it a good feed and a top dressing with a mulch to hold in the water

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
    • steven118

Ratings:
      +0
      thanks spruce. I dont think the tree is too dry. We've had a very wet summer. I havent fed it this year though. Should I do so now, and what with? Thanks again, steven

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,352

I would just keep a eye on watering you will be suprised how quicky it dries out , have you checked I know it has rained a lot but..... go and check have dig down one or two inches if dry water .close to the house it will be drier........

I would wait until spring to feed & mulch the root area, its too late in the year and I wouldnt want lots of new growth that hasnt ripened going in to winter it will only get damaged.

You may have to treat for the scale insect as it all adds up to weakening the tree .

Spruce

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,730
      I'm with Spruce on this one. I think your plant is dry. As Spruce says, if your plant is close to buildings you'd be amazed just how dry the soil is underneath the top inch or so, even in wet weather. My Magnolia grandiflora suffers from the same problem, partly because the garden next door is concreted to blazes and draws the water from my little plot with the efficiency of a sump.

Sneak out with the hose (preferably wearing a hoody so you can't be identified) and leave it running long enough to give your plant a damn good soaking. You'll probably be a social pariah for months and get blamed for all the world's ills, but your magnolia will like you.

• Like Like x 2
      • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,881
        I agree with Spruce and Clare, anything growing close to buildings, walls or fences, should always be watered during the growing season, even if it has rained. Hanging baskets and containers should also be checked.:dbgrtmb:

• steven118

Ratings:
        +0
        Thanks to all of you! Have started guerrilla watering. Steven