Magnolia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by supermum10, Apr 13, 2006.

1. supermum10

supermum10 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, i haven't posted for a while as I've been so busy acting on all your suggestions and watching my garden come alive! Many thanks to those of you who advised me to wait, I have some lovely looking plants coming to life before my eyes! Many of those I will be posting pics of as soon as the buds open to ask for identity help!!! But my question today....While at a recent visit to RHS Rosemoor i fell in love with their magnolia. I knew i had a rather twiggy looking thing with velvety buds in the frount garded and started to hope that it might be a magnolia. The flowers have opened and I'm pretty sure it is, so I really want to know how to look after it. It will be just my luck to have the very plant i longed for and then kill it off!!

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    cross your fingers and wish for no frost to spoil the blooms!! That's always a good start with magnolias! And welcome back! :D

3. Barra

Barra Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No matter how large or small the variety,magnolias should be sheltered from strong winds. To flower well,they must recieve at least half a day's sunshine.
    M.stellata and M.grandiflora prosper in well drained Acid,neutral or alkaline soil.
    Encourage bountiful blooms by applying an acidifying fertiliser-brands for azaleas and camellias are ideal- in April and July.
    Problems=Soft,unfolding leaves can be scorched by hot,dry or salty wind,so position plants carefully

4. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yep, all the books and advice state magnolia require shelter and good soil, prferably acid to neutral but will tollerate alkaline soil providing there is plenty of humus incorporated. Very hardy but prone to frost damage once out of dormancy. The wood is very brittle though.

Here's the rub! I've seen a beautifull tree (at a guess 15ft.) growing in a very exposed front garden on the Perth to Scone road and the blooms were magnificent last year. I think in Devon with a bit of shelter and reasonable soil they should do well, wouldn't do any harm to plant up with loads of ericacious compost if your part of Devon is chalky. ;)

5. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,074
    Shelter from strong winds and do not like frost, mmmmm. We do not do too badly in this garden where we have had frost every month of the year except August, over the last 10 years. And we get a viciously cold and strong set of winds in April which can rip the leaves from plants. Don't tell our dozen or so Magnolias please.

6. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    :D All of which goes to show it's a good job our plant's don't read books!

Now if the question had been about camelias ...

Every bud has been wind or frost nipped this year :(

7. supermum10

supermum10 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice, I have only lived here since November and I'm a very new gardener so I have no idea what type of soil I have. I'm hoping that as it has survived at least the last winter it is in a good position, certainly at it's present height it is sheltered by a dry stone wall.