Maincrop Edwards flowering early

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by TAL, Jun 16, 2009.

1. TAL

TAL Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted my maincop potatoes - King Edwards - on 1st of May. I tried 'earthing up' as much as I could, but they are now pretty tall, 2 feet plus, and a few actually have flower heads on them.
    They are in a very well prepared section of my small veg plot - lots of manure Autumn/Spring but I would not have expected them to be so big after just a few weeks.
    Then again, maybe they are not and I am misreading signs. It's the flower heads that are throwing me. This is only me 2nd time planting potatoes, but last year really got me hooked.
    Don't worry, I have no intention of lifting them till September. But, it is worrying as to what height they will eventually be.

Comments anyone?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,986
    Maincrop spuds can get really big, to the extent that the haulms (leaves/tops) fall over, so I would not worry. It sounds like yours are doing just fine, being in flower right now is perfectly normal. Once the leaves start to die back you can begin digging them up, I'm sure that will be before September.