1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Maintenance of iris surround pond

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Snorky85, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,944
    over the summer we had a working group to try and cut back some of the iris' that are overaking our pond...we were led to believe the pond was extremely deep. After adventuring in it's fine to stand up in around the edges so we got in and started hacking out masses of iris' from the centre outwards. We had to stop eventually as the ground was so dry at the edges making it really difficult to dig out.

Someone was asking if we should be chopping down/cutting back the out iris' now for winter. Honestly i have no idea and now consulting you lovies for advice. Any thoughts?

IMG_7706.JPG IMG_7707.JPG

Note how low the pond level is! Can't believe how low it has got!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      Sorry no one more knowledgeable hasn’t replied so far. I don’t think there is any harm in digging out the irises now. They can take over. Presumably the recent rains will have raised the water level now and softened the surrounding grounds you can finish the work.

• Like Like x 2
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Well, it's obviously a mature pond with masses of what looks like Flag Iris around it. Irises foliage will die back some during the Winter, but some will remain. It won't do any harm to the Iris to thin it out but unless you really want to tidy the pond up I wouldn't cut back the foliage drastically as it's obviously still getting energy from the Sun to store in its rhizomes for flowering next year. I never cut back my Iris in my wildlife pond and only thin them when I need to.
        To be honest, not knowing the real depth of the pond apart from being told it might be "extremely deep" is, from the safety side, not good for carrying out any maintenance on the pond. I would strongly advise that if you know any one who coarse freshwater fishes to ask them to use a float and weight to plumb the depths. It can be done very easily and quickly and if he/she plumbs the length and width of the pond you will have a plan of the pond depth.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 1