Make a date

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by wiseowl, Jan 3, 2007.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,668
    Just reading this weeks Garden News,There,s an article covering Carol Kleins new( Grow Your Own Veg}
    T.V Programme,BBC 2 at 8.30am.This Friday Jan-5th .Just thought Its worth a mention.

2. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    ooooh - duly noted!!!!!!

Something for the devil spawn - er, I mean darling kiddie-winkies to watch with me whilst sipping their bed-time hot choccie.....

....and on the subject of grow your own - I was reading over the holidays a letter in the local paper from a Woman who had picked 54 pounds of Kiwi fruit from her one plant last autumn.... she lives near Portsmouth!!!!

3. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    a.m. or p.m. ? either way i'll be tuning in. Cheers for that.

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Has to be an evening prog, surely?!! That's my assumption, and have noted the info. Thanks very much, WOO!

5. Markr

Markr Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reminder,,,,
    just hope it isnt a flop like most of the INSTANT garden programes!!!

6. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
  7. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
  8. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Well, I watched, and I'm disappointed. I'd hoped, since this is the beginning of the prog, and the beginning of January, that it would be geared to what to do now...... instead of which we were treated to views of what is there in April, June, August.... - that's not what I wanted!

I wanted a guide to what to do this week...... and to have a series based on that. I have a fair amount of theoretical knowledge about growing veg, but not much practical experience, so I'd appreciate some down-to-earth advice on what to do right now, what to do, what to plan, and so on, so I can see what everything should look like now - not what it'll look like at the end of the summer!!

Oh, well, maybe the RHS set-up that goes along with the programme, and develops a 3mx3m bed over a year, will be more helpful! It does sound quite promising.

What do others think about it?

9. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I watched too and thought much the same as you Dendy. I wouldve liked to see more of the prep of the soil too. I would love to have a go at growing lots of veg in a small area - praps the two ladies doing that will show me the way in the next episodes [​IMG]

10. Markr

Markr Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    its not quite the same watching someone slog away with a spade for half an hour doing there winter diggin [​IMG]
    then diggin in muck n compost before the fun bit of planting the spuds [​IMG]
    oh and dont forget all that walking up and down the rows, watering with a can every night.
    [​IMG]

11. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,668
    Hi .I waited In anticipation.I watched, And I was a little disappointed.My own personal view was that to much content ,to fast, was put in
    to the first programme,But it can only improve with Carol Kleins presenting It.

12. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    My feeling is that by the end of the series, if had it all on video, you could find what you wanted, but if you're taking it a bit at a time as oit's screened, it's not going to do that - so it's not what I want. My hope now is the the RHS on-line bit will do what I want.

13. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I too am disappointed with the programme. It was bitty, had lots of irrelevent stuff (like a dog showing it's tricks etc) and, worst of all, music all the way through!

14. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes I was disappointed. I can put up with it not showing you what to do week by week, Gardener's World USED to be the practical programme for that. It was very prettily done, nicely shot and nice music...Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young i think, but it was weak on substance. Far too often programmes don't have enough facts....they pan it out as long as possible, repeating this fact and that and as Blackthorn said sticking in a woman getting the dog to show off. Hardly any variety names of potatoes were mentioned, even though they were supposed to be the focus of the programme. Carol is obviously very knowledgeable and excited about the subject - remember the squeals when she dug up her spuds but this was a waste of her talents.]
    We need a TV producer to do a programme who knows about gardening. We don't need all this arty farty stuff!

15. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,101
    Gardening progs are not for gardeners,.....anymore.
    afraid I didn't see it, but then I dont watch gardening progs anymore due to what Geoff said in his last line. :mad: