Making a small gravel circle under firepit

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by o-Riverside-o, Mar 23, 2024.

1. o-Riverside-o

o-Riverside-o Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi folks,
    This is my first post here so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place!
    I'd like to make a small gravel circle in the lawn to put our firepit on. I'm thinking about 1 metre in diameter. This is probably a daft question but I'm assuming I just put down some weed membrane and then fling the gravel on top?? Does anyone have any advice or suggestions about edging the circle in some way?
    Many thanks in advance :)

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,438
    Hi @o-Riverside-o - I think it would be best to dig out a decent depth of turf - about 6 inches or so, then add the gravel, or use a layer of concrete/mortar and then the gravel, so that there's a firm base, especially if it's sandier, lighter soil you have.
    An edging of brick round the dug out area would be fine, or you could make a lip of the concrete so that you aren't having difficulty when you mow. There are also metal edgings available, but some are a bit flimsy so it depends on the look you like and your budget :smile:

3. o-Riverside-o

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks so much! Does that mean I wouldn't have to bother with the weed membrane as the depth of gravel would be sufficient to prevent weeds coming up? I like the sound of brick edging and will look into that :)

4. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,438
    Sorry - had to go out after I replied to you!
    I wouldn't bother with the membrane. A good layer of gravel would do the job well enough. Even with membrane, you can get weeds seeding in, so it isn't always much help. If you do the layer of concrete first, that will help prevent anything from below though. Belt and braces :smile:
    It also depends on whether you want to keep it long term like that, or might want to revert to grass in future. If so, leave out the concrete layer, and you'd only need to lift the bulk of the gravel and add soil then seed or turf.
    If you do the brick edging, it's better if it's mortared in, and it isn't hard to do as you can get ready mixed stuff in DIY stores. You just need a decent spirit level. Just give yourself enough space within the circle to allow for that :)

5. o-Riverside-o

Ratings:
    +5
    No worries! Thanks so much for getting back to me, I really appreciate it. Off to B&Q tomorrow then. Happy gardening!

• Like Like x 1