Making better use of ~4m of fence AKA Vertical Garden/Hydroponics?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by BillyBumbleBeard, Mar 1, 2023.

1. BillyBumbleBeard

BillyBumbleBeard Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    Hi All,

In our back garden there's a south facing section approx. 4 fence panels long, I want to use it for a "Vertical gardening" project so was thinking:

1) Use green metal "box profile" roofing sheets to clad the whole lot to start (screw to existing concrete fence panels. Can get these in 4m lengths. Also removes any reliance on neighbour for fencing as he's a bit of a t*t.
    2) Use 4x2" treated timber verticals screwed through the above, to hold the "hydroponics system":
    3) Use 65mm black PVC square downpipes, with 50mm holes in every (12"?) to hold the baskets for plants (strawberries, herbs, salads mainly smaller stuff). These at a slight angle, the highest ones could feed into the lower ones.
    4) Clay beads for medium?
    5) I can feed water in from an automatic watering system I have nearby for the greenhouse, from a constant trickle to timed. E.g. feed to top of each slope separately, each drains at the bottom.

Does the above "on paper" sound feasable? My main question was how to get nutrients to the plants, I'm not linking it to a fish pond or anything. Would domething like a mesh bag of slow release plant food at the top of each "slope" do it?

Any other considerations I need to think about?

Thanks in advance, will post pics when I start it. :)

This is an illustrative photo

[​IMG]

But mine would be just e.g. 4 slopes, and not go "back to front" at each end.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I've currently got some planters with compost and strawberries in, but they never do very well. Like one or two strawberries per plant, I think because they struggle for water and nutrients. Hence I'd like to try the above :)

• Like Like x 1