Making compost for germinating seedlings

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by kerrygirl, Apr 11, 2015.

1. kerrygirl

kerrygirl Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Is it possible to make compost for germinating seeds. I sow a lot of flower and veg seeds since I got my greenhouse, so now I'm wondering if it is possible to make my own compost.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,889
    I've tagged @Lolimac for you Kerrygirl, I think she may be able to help you with this. :)

3. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,125
    Sieved mpc and sharp sand for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      @kerrygirl , this year seen as I had a accumulated a large supply of leafmould,garden compost and had a surplus of good quality top soil I thought I'd have a go at my own mixes for seeds and potting compost.I took great advice from Steve R 's thread on 'compost mixes' on the 'compost/recycling' forum...(General gardening discussion) sorry don't know how to put the link up:doh:...it's really informative have a read:thumbsup:

I'm also finding using just sieved leafmould on it's own for seed sowing is really successful ,I've read lots of pros and cons about using just leaf mould for seeds and the general advice is once the seeds have germinated they need to be moved on quickly as the seedlings are starved of nutrients.Having said that I have to admit to not 'moving them on' as quickly as I should at times but it's had no ill affects on them at all:blue thumb:

I'm a great advocate of leafmould it's marvellous stuff and it's free:thumbsup:

• Informative Informative x 2
      • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,091
        http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/compost-mixes.38688/

Here's my two pennurth;
        It does rather depend upon the seed that you're growing and how familiar you are with it.
        So for seed that germinates quickly I would have no issues with using homemade but if it is slow to germinate I would use an MPC mix. This is simply because of issues with mould, moss etc.
        If I am unfamiliar with the seed then I would also use an MPC mix. For example, Tomato seedlings are easily identified but Lobelia seedlings look much the same as weed type Oxalis or wild rocket. As fastidious as I am about not putting any weeds (or seed heads of any type) in the compost I do put grass cuttings in and I'm sure that this is how they get there. My point is that if you're unfamiliar you may end up cultivating weeds from homemade compost.

Having said all that I am a firm convert to the soilless baggy method of germination.

• Like Like x 1
        • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Thanks for putting the link up @longk :thumbsup:

I agree with weed issue:blue thumb: the leaf mould on it's own I haven't had any problems with but when I make a potting mix it does get sterilized in the microwave as that is the mix where most of them come from:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
          • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +23,091
            That certainly helps although some weed seed seems to survive in my experience. Not an issue if you know your seedlings though.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Just to satisfy my leaf mould obsession,I pricked out some Zinna today from pure leaf mould ,I know Zinna do well anyway but look at those lovely roots...yum yum:rolleyespink:

P1060762.JPG

• Like Like x 3
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • kerrygirl

kerrygirl Gardener

Ratings:
                +24
                Well you all have given me a lot to think about. I was looking online at a Wormery for making compost. Have any of you tried one of these? I'm a bit confused as to where I should start.

• alexmac

alexmac Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +196
                hi Kerrygirl
                I use a wormery to produce vermicompost, however you will not get any compost in a hurry as it takes quite a while to get it established and producing. I bought a worm city wormery and it has been fantastic. I use Coco coir bricks soaked and crumbled as bedding which also turns into compost, with a three tier system I produce 25 litres of vermicompost every couple of months.
                I use this as seed compost and my germination rate is about 90% +.
                I also add it to all my plants, I only have a greenhouse now and large pots for flowers and fruit trees but find 10 to 20% worm compost added each year gives great results. I also use organic fertilizers
                Regards Alex

• Informative Informative x 1
                • KingEdward

KingEdward Gardener

Ratings:
                  +67
                  Have you tried just using garden soil? I sieve mine first to remove roots/lumps/stones, and after sowing put a layer of council green waste compost (cheap collected in bulk) on top to reduce weed seed germination. Obviously you can also mix in some sand, leafmould, homemade compost etc. if you want.

It works very well for plants with large seeds and for seeds that are reasonably quick to germinate. I find it's a lot easier to separate seedlings grown in soil (which rinses off easily in water) than ones grown in peat-based composts (where the roots grow through the lumps).

• Like Like x 1
                  • kerrygirl

kerrygirl Gardener

Ratings:
                    +24
                    Thanks Alex, thats very interesting. Do you add fruit and veg peelings, etc to the wormery

• alexmac

alexmac Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +196
                    Hi Kerrygirl
                    I add both fruit and veg peelings but you need to be selective they absolutely love melon rind banana skins and wholemeal bread. Potato , turnip, parsnip and carrot skins slowly get eaten
                    No citrus and no onion that just gets left and no worms in area where they are
                    If you turn over melon rind or wholemeal bread that has been in there a day or so there are hundreds of worms feeding on these
                    Regards Alex

• kerrygirl

kerrygirl Gardener

Ratings:
                    +24
                    Thanks Alex. It may be next year before I get one.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +23,091
                    They go in mine but don't come out :dunno: