Mantis tiller?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by "M", Nov 16, 2012.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Going to put it on my wish list, but wondered if anyone has any experience of it?

It looks like it would do the tasks I'd like it to do, but you can't beat personal experiences can you :)

Anyone?

TIA

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Very happy with mine. I have the 4-stroke; I have read that the 2-stroke can be a pig to start / re-start (as is common with many 2-stroke engines). Not even sure they sell the 2-stroke model any more.

Not sure the lawn edging tool is worth having, I used mine once and found it far too fiddly, but someone else might tell you that, with practice, it works OK.

Used to hire a rotavator in the spring, but that required good luck that the weather was kind! whereas with a machine here I can use it whenever the soil is just dry enough.

I bought mine from the factory outlet shop on eBay (when you find it the vendor-name will obvious and they only sell Mantis Tillers). It looked like it had been returned (some soil on the tines) but otherwise looked brand new, and came with normal guarantee - saved about 10% from memory.

• Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      I thought you had heavy clay soil like what I've got and one of those wouldn't be up to any sort of job on my plot, especially if I've let somewhere lay fallow for a year, or is it used just in raised beds?

(I use an earlier model of this to cut through my heavy clay soil http://www.cheapmowers.com/acatalog/Honda_FG500_Cultivator_Rotovator_.html which is a bit of a beast so also a smaller 2.4 hp Honda that Mrs Scrungee can handle)

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,087
        I've had a 2 stroke one for about 10yrs, its true, it is a pain to start, but then I usually finish using it in June and it stays in the shed until the following March.
        Its always started eventually, and once I 've started it that season there is no problem.

It's a lightweight when it comes to turning the soil, but I find it really breaks the soil down to a fine tilth.
        I've mostly gone over the area rough digging by hand in the first place anyway as I need to remove bindweed and couch grass first, I dont want to chop that up.

I dont cultivate large areas any more, so its fine for me.

• Like Like x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,668
          Yes, I should have said I don't use it to break new ground, only till existing beds. Its not a digging machine - however, nor is a Merry Tiller or the like - need a cultivator (powered-wheels rather than just powered-tines) for digging virgin / fallowed ground I reckon, or my preference: JCB to dig it over and then a tractor-mounted rotavator powered from PTO :) That makes mincemeat of my clay :) - provided it isn't sticky wet

I also use mine to chop up the compost heap (after composting is finished, and before shovelling it into the barrow) and in the greenhouse borders after I've filled them roughly with 50:50 manure and compost heap to mix it all together. Have also used it to "mix" soil + manure to make "planting soil" for new trees and shrubs.

• Like Like x 1