Marks on Marble Counter

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Victoria, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    :) Good evening everyone and I hope you are having a pleasant weekend so far.

I have a problem that one or more of you may be able to help me with ... perhaps Zigs ...

I have about 6 meters of white marble in my kitchen ... a big mistake we made 15 years ago but we were not keen on the dark granite alternatives in a white kitchen. Over the years marks have developed, picture attached. I have glass protectors in various places of major use but there will always be accidents ... drips from orange juice one of the worse as I live in the middle of thousands of orange trees.

Other than replacing the counters which includes a peninsular with massive marble pillar holding up the three cabinets above, what can I use on the marble to 'revive' it somewhat? I have tried various products on the market and they are absolutely useless. The best was plain old neutral shoe wax.

Your thoughts and comments are welcomed and appreciated. xx

Marble Marks.jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Looks like it might need a repolish, involving buffing up with fine abrasive compounds.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      If the stains are long standing, Victoria, they will prove harder to remove. Marble reacts badly to any thing acidic such as fruit juices. There is one method you can try although it might sound a bit strange:heehee:..........paste based toothpaste. Use a soft brush or cloth to apply it and rub on the stain.:coffee:

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Victoria

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +55,156
        Pete, I do plan on speaking to my 'kitchen man' who has done several properties.

Big A ... well, I never thought of that ... I use A&H bicarb toothpaste so may have a little go with that, thanks for the tip. xx

It's not a stain, but the finish eaten away ... and I will add that the marks I photographed were taken hours after it happened .... :hate-shocked: I do however have a couple of 'yellowish stains' in front of the hob which is corner located and I am sure the discolouration is from cooking.

Very busy tomorrow so hopefully will try out a few things Monday or Tuesday in between business things.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        For the cooking stains (which i'm assuming are fats) you could try a poltice of flour mixed with a ph neutral detergent & water. Spread that on the stains & just leave it to dry. You'll see if its drawing it out by the discolouring in the poltice.

I would use Vulpex Liquid Soap, but thats about £30 a litre.

As for the rest of it, repolishing is the way to go, you might try a small area with Cuttlefish bone, see if it comes up.

Trouble is, "Marble" is such a generic term, covers all manner of rocks from sedimentary to metamorphic, each one is different.

• Like Like x 1
        • Victoria

Lady of Leisure
          Ratings:
          +55,156
          Oh Zigs, trust you to come up with all sorts. :rolleyespink:

I will try your flour poltice for in front of the hob and see what happens, thank you for that tip. xx

Vulpex Liquid Soap ... remember where I live darling ... xx

If you mean 'real' cuttlefish bone, there is lots of it here on the beaches ... do I just rub it into the marble rather than feed it to birds?

I know marble can mean this or that ... but I sadly have pure marble, it was cheap as shite when we bought it 15 years ago ... :wallbanging:

• Like Like x 1
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Oi, don't bypass the swear filter you ex mod you:snork:

You can get Vulpex off the internet, its just a lot of money.

Yep, Cuttlefish bone is a fine abrasive, might work to polish up some marbles. Work it with a little water but make sure theres no bits of grit around.:)

• Informative Informative x 1