marrows

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by thistle, Jul 23, 2006.

1. thistle

thistle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    iam growing marrows which i started off from seeds. each plant has about 4 flowers. this is the first time of growing them so i really havnt got that much of an idea. when will the marrows start to appear. some flowers have dropped off but no marrow. pleae could anyone advise thanks.

2. Big T

Big T Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Thistle, Keep them well watered and as long as you have fertile soil that's all you need to do. The female flowers with the little marrow behind them should self pollinate with the male flowers, the ones without the little marrow behind them, as long as they are outside and bees/insects can get to them. If you have them in a cold frame you will need to hand pollinate them. that's easy to do. Just take a male flower, remove the petals and insert the stamen into the female flower, give it a wiggle and take out, job done. By the way, marrows like well manured, moisture retaining soil. Hope that is of some help to you, regards BigT.

Check out my blog
    http://brassicabill.blogspot.com