Masking Cigarette Smoke

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by flying rowan, Jul 20, 2014.

1. flying rowan

flying rowan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone.

Apologies if this has been covered in another thread, I've done a few searches and nothing seems to be coming up.

We recently bought a flat in a new development. We are lower ground floor with 4 floors above us and two blocks either side.

We have a north facing garden and two gardens either side of us.

We have big problems with cigarette smoke coming in from all angles, above, left and right.

The garden is bare, does anyone have any tips on trees/shrubs, or climbers that might help mask this invasive smell? I know I can fill the house with cleaning indoor plants but wondering if I can tackle it outside as well?

Ta

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    You could try strongly fragrant plants.

For daytime:
    Sage, Rosemary, Lavender, Lemon Balm, Mint, Sweet Peas, Dianthus.

For evening:
    Night scented stock, some wall flowers

3. flying rowan

flying rowan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I want to learn about creating a forest garden too so these would probably tie in pretty well.

4. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    I would aim at forming screens of fairly leafy trees/shrubs reaching to 6' or more all around as then the smoke cannot waft through so easily in the first place. Do you already have a fence, and if so, is it failing to keep smoke out? Also, I would consider having a fan readily accessible to see if blowing air against the smoke makes any difference, it might encourage it away from your garden while you are sitting out, at least.

If it's north facing you will need to get plants that do not need masses of sun. A foresty green oasis is perfectly possible, though. To start off, I would look at clematis, jasmine, and slender, delicate trees such as sorbus and cercidiphyllum japonicum.

• Useful Useful x 1