May planting out

Discussion in 'What To Do This Month' started by Tabather, May 18, 2024.

1. Tabather

Tabather Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    I have just hung out my hanging baskets. Should I be safe from frost now?. I am 5-6 miles in from the coast. Also please may I have advice on when I can plant out my climbing French beans, courgettes, butternut squash, cucumbers, hanging cherry tom baskets? Thankyou

2. DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,444
    Our beans went out first week in May, doing okay, but would be a lot better without the slugs and 4-5c higher temperatures. Only other we have is courgettes and cucumbers, ours are not out yet...

• Like Like x 1
    • Escarpment

Escarpment Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,966
      My french beans are going out as soon as they get big enough to start leaning over and trailing out of the pot. So far I've got 4 out, and 2 more sitting in the cold frame waiting to get big enough.
      My courgettes and cucumbers are still just seedlings. I gave up on my first sowing of courgettes and bought fresh seed which all came up within a week. Now the original sowings are starting to appear, so I have an embarrassment of seedlings.
      My tomatoes have been going out in dribs and drabs since the beginning of May.
      I think the wet is more of a threat to everything than the cold at the moment. Fingers crossed for a hot dry June!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Grandma Sue

Grandma Sue Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +434
        My La Diva cucumbers have been in the cold frame for a month now - with the front fully open on warm days

Today hubby had erected chicken wire with canes for the cucumbers to climb and YO-YO supports are also in place on the south face wall of our house. If it rains the awning will be pulled out.
        4 tomato plants are thriving there at the moment so tomorrow weather permitting, I will moving the cucumbers to the new home. Fingers crossed