Maybe on wrong thread

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Scotkat, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Something has been eating leaves on one of my Dad rhod that I lifted for my own garden .

What can I do will she recover.I hope she perks up.

[​IMG]

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Scotkat,this is the nasty pest that is noshing on your Dad's plant.Nasty little critter.It is called a Vine Weevil.What you need to do is wash off all the old compost,because the larva will now be presant and will be hatching into the females about now.The one in the picture,I took this week.Use only fresh compost suiable for r
    Rhodo's.If you are moving it to your house you must make sure all the roots are clean or else you will infest your garden with them.We never had the problem until we moved here.We think we brought it in on some Polyanthus plants that we brought from a garden centre and the eggs were probably in the compost.Looking at the plant it should recover.The Vine weevil is now geeting a taste of a wide range of plants as you are now finding out.Good Luck..

[​IMG]

3. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Sorry that the photo is blurred it looked ok on Photobucket.This adult is dark grey in colour and if you find one will pretend it is dead by not moving.Remove and squash underfoot...

4. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    I have been ruthless KF as a lot of new growth from below starting to appear so pruned back to new growth and took away a lot of the soil aand cut back some of the roots and drenched plant and root ball and hole it came out of with prevado and repoted into a pot with fresh compost meetime and put in an erea away from my plants garden.

Hope I have got it in time and really upset have got this nasty bug never seen this in my plants but have heard about it.

It may have come from my dads garden I dont know or travelled from a neighbour.

Thankyou for id.

5. norman

norman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I hate to repeat myself but Armillatox have been doing some work on the killing of vine weevil. There are also some other cures available.

6. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Norman, you appear to be like me, an unpaid rep for Armillatox. I can't praise it highly enough. Glad they didn't take it of the markey, just re worded it's uses. Glad I got an old leaflet. :D