Meadow flower area

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Bear1, Jul 5, 2023.

1. Bear1

Bear1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    I have a 4m by 2m area that's got love I the mist yellow rattle some flax and grass. Year before I had poppys I broadcast there seeds but they didn't germinate this year, what can I do to lake sure my poppies germate for next year , and should I collect the yellow rattle seeds our just let selfsow? Do I pull out some of the grass in autum our just cut down low? I know that's alot to answer but would really lave a mix of wildflowers but all that wants to grow is yellow rattle , should I do anything to soil its a mix of clay and gritty soil and has never been fertlized?

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,571
    Annual poppies are a plant of cultivated or disturbed ground, they need light to germinate.
    I have annual poppies and they selfseed happily comung up in the weeded parts of the flower beds and the veg plot, but not in the lawn area.
    May be pull some grass out to create bare soil and then surface sow. I would wait until spring though.

3. infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
    Ratings:
    +1,155
    Yellow rattle suppresses other plants, thats why it is generally eliminated from grassland.However, the best way of proceeding would be to mow in late July, allowing the cuttings to remain and return to the soil.This will limit the amount of grass that reseeds.Few grasses produce seed later in the season.
    If you can collect the poppy seeds when ripe, when the seedbox is open and before they scatter, save some and insert shallowly(10mm max) with a trowel at random next Spring.
    Not recommended to add fertiliser, you are simulating meadow. Nature will allow development of species which the site conditions naturally favour; you cannot have it all!