Mealworms composting

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by tonyh1981, Jul 11, 2009.

1. tonyh1981

tonyh1981 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so being a complete newbie im not sure of things. When you start composting and add all that waste matter to a bin i know some people add earth worms.

Is it feasible to use mealworms? They breed readily in bran and at temps near 85f. The reason i ask is they are extremely available to me as a reptile breeder and i thought i could make compost and breed mealies at the same time.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,968
    If the compost bin has an open bottom then worms will find their way in, its not so much earthworms as those smaller red ones that thrive in compost heaps. They also find their way in when adding weeds/plants that have some soil attached.

Dunno about mealworms, it would be interesting to know, there can't be any harm in you trying with a few, I reckon getting the temperature right for them will be too difficult in a compost heap. If it works let us know.

3. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    not sure a home compost reaches 85f a lot though. what their min temp?

4. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    how will you prevent the beetles from escaping?

5. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I dont think the mealworms will do there work before they move onto the next stage of their life-cycle and move out.

Whereas worms will spend their life and breed in the compost

6. tonyh1981

tonyh1981 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmmmm interesting. Mealworms can survive at very low temps but breeding will be minimal if at all. As far as the beetles escaping they will quite happily stay where there is a food source. Hmmmm will have to do some tests in small pots i think

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Compost heap would be too wet for mealworms not a good idea.

8. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Given the choice between a compost heap and a juicy veg patch (or your neighbours) they may decide on the veg, they have wings so distance isnt a problem.