Menorca wildflowers help please

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Martin Holst, May 29, 2010.

1. Martin Holst

Martin Holst Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just returned from Menorca and there are a few flowers that I need help id-ing since I am very much the amateur botanist!
    The photos were taken in coastal areas apart from a couple taken at Es Grau nature reserve.

All help greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Martin.

The fourth one could be Salvia pratensis, which is a native wildflower in the UK.

The fifth one could be the only other Salvia that is native in the UK, as well as other parts of Europe - Salvia verbenaca, which has short stalkless leaves giving it quite a distincive look. http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...mage_result&resnum=3&ct=image&ved=0CAsQ9QEwAg

I have no idea about the others, I am afraid.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,627
    I think the first picture could be a broomrape of some kind (Orobanchie)

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,478
    I agree with Pete that No 1 is probably Orobanhe loricata, Oxtongue Broomrape.

No 2 I can't identify.

No 3 I believe is Mesembryantheum nodiflorum, the Ice Plant, which clings to rocks in coastal areas.

I agree with PeterS on Nos 4 & 5 being Salvias of some sort.

5. Martin Holst

Martin Holst Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou, I never would have found the Mesanbryantheum from the illustrations I have in my books but I think that is it.
    The closest I can find for the second picture is some sort of centaury. However, none of my books show that level of leatheriness in the leaves and C. maritima doesn't look right. It was on the coast near Ciutadella on the west of the island.

Guess I'll just have to go back next year.
    Dang, life is so hard!

Cheers

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,478
    Hi, Martin.

Yes, the Mesembryanthemum are quite different in the Med in their natural habitat than known as the cultivated species. Actually, I must correct myself, it's not the Ice Plant that is M crystallinum.

No, No 2 is certainly not a Centaury as far as I can see .. but I'll let you know if I discover what it is.

Dang, life's even harder when you have to live in such a country .......... :hehe:

PS You may wish to treat yourself to the Collins Complete Mediterranean Wildlife book by Paul Sterry, ISBN 0-00-220161-5, £16, 99 but probably cheaper on Amazon or The Book Directory.