Methods of growing Runner Beans

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Labrador, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Labrador

Labrador Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Have had a look around on the site but have not seen anything about the various ways people grow their runner beans (successfully, that is).
    Every 3 years I dig a trench about one and a half foot deep by about four foot wide. Lay open up news papers in the bottom to help retain moisture, cover with a generous helping of well rotted manure and the filled in. Then I erect two upright steel poles and a horizontal about seven foot high and run strings each side in a tent like fashion. I find that I get about three years of excellant cropping. Then I move to a different location and do the same again. Even though it is only about a 12 foot row we end up with so many that apart from freezing we give loads away.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Sounds the perfect method to me. I use the tent-of-canes instead of strings.

I have been tempted to have outward-sloping canes, instead of inward, so that the beans would hang down over the path, rather than hide in the middle. Not sure how I would give some rigidity to the canes though ...

... for my Raspberries [planted this spring, first crop next year] I am definitely planning hanging-over-the-path. A T-shaped post at the ends of the rows, outrigger-wires, and new canes can grow up the middle, then when the old canes are removed the new ones will be tied outwards onto the wires. Hopefully be easier to pick them than a wire in the middle of a double row

Amazing, isn't it, true to form I'm off topic already. Sorry about that ...

3. Labrador

Labrador Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    So, you grow stringless runners!!:D:D:D

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Lab: I try and rotate into a different bit of the plot each year as the beans fix nitrogen and follow on crops do much better. Having said that my Father-In-Law grew runner beans on the same bit of his garden for decades and they were always very good.

Up to this year I always double dig in lots of compost and construct a traditional tent arrangement with canes & string.

Next year I intend to try something radically different - on an allotment forum http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2100&highlight=munty+bean+frame they have come up with an excellent idea; the 'Munty' frame:

This is one of their pictures (I hope they don't mind me linking to their images). This is one of the larger frames but it shows the general idea of the layout.
    [​IMG]

I think it the way to go, it seems you can grow other stuff in the same bed as the runners and make picking much easier, i.e. the beans hang down (no hiding place!). You will have to read their thread to get an idea of all its benefits, they have been trying it out for a couple of years and I'm convinced.

5. Labrador

Labrador Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    That's a fantasti idea John. Why did I never think of it, it certainly beats them hanging back down on themselves so you end up trying to play hide and seek to find the beans. :thumb:
    This looks what you would like to acieve Kristen.

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "So, you grow stringless runners!!"

I'm definitely not awarding any marks-out-of-ten for that one !!

JWK all that string looks like a lot of work to build. But I do like the idea of them growing "overhead and dangling" for picking.

Why only one-sided, rather than an Arch?

7. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I use string each year, it is a bit time consuming though and might take too long when its suffolk sized!
    On the allotment site someone has made one out of steel (reinforcing bars) I guess you can use whatever comes to hand.

I think the idea of being one-sided is to maximise the amount of sun hitting the plants i.e. there is no 'dark' inside bit like in a normal tent arrangement.

I quite like the idea of using it in front of my greenhouse so as to give a bit of natural shading during the summer.

8. Labrador

Labrador Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You can pick your beans when it's raining!:)

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I took this at Helmingham Hall [in early June] - I was actually looking at the Asparagus [they had about 6 beds this size!] but just on the right you can see an arch walkway which they were growing runners up; I think they had four such paths

[​IMG]

Here's Google's bird's eye view (note tennis court included for size comparison purposes!!)

Helmingham Hall - Google Satellite View

10. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    and just found the steel framed version on a more modest scale:

[​IMG]

As I see it the main advantage of this layout (not just steel) is that you can get an extra crop growing underneath in full sun - i.e. lettuces or similar. Ideal for a smaller garden.

11. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    kristen: runner bean arches over the paths in the veg patch thats a good idea, even better use of wasted space, now I'll have to think how I can incorporate that.

12. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I was thinking something like this - given that I have raised beds
    [​IMG]

But could just as easily be one-sided, or even for a double-row this I suppose:
    [​IMG]

13. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    kristen, I've been doing a mixed form of this for years. I cross the canes at a height of about 3ft. This leaves the top half of the canes leaning outward whilst they are still supported by each other. It also allows you to run clear plastic along the bottom section early on in the year in order to form a triangular cloche to warm the ground up and to grow other short term crops inside. I also find that they resist the strong winds better as they are more flexible.

A couple of pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like John's Father-in-Law I have grown mine on the same spot for about thirty years and I always get a good crop (picked 6lbs this week :thumb:).

Also I have seen the method that John shows in his first picture but done as a complete archway with other crops, that prefer some shade, grown underneath. This was done by a retired man who makes a good living out of his fruit and veggies. :)

14. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    That's a good variation on my current cane-tent, so would require no significant change in operating procedure! I'll give that a crack next year, thanks.

15. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    It's best to leave slightly more room between rows because the beans can continue to grow a little bit and grow across to the other row forming an arch, but they then take up some of your headroom. :thumb: :D