Mice in compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Essexgardens, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Essexgardens

Essexgardens Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This may seem a silly question but every time I go to my compost bin, there's a mouse on top which rapidly disappears! It doesn't bother me - its quite funny to watch, but is it bad for the compost if they have a nest in it and if so what should I do? Its one of those large round black plastic composters

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I would get rid of it you don't want to start a colony they would find their way into your house eventually

3. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    They are not bad for compost though, even snakes live in compost. If you kill the mouse leave it there, decomposed animals make compost.

4. Essexgardens

Essexgardens Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What's the best way of eradicating them?

5. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,664
    Hi Essexgardens I am on my way over with some of my friends,we will soon get rid of them. :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The kindest way is with a humane trap, once captured, you 'relocate' it somewhere far away...

7. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i agree with jarbax, i had them living in my garage last winter,i found the see-saw type humane trap worked very well. i baited it with honey and caught 1 a night for over a week. you need to re-house them a fair distance away from your house though-think the packaging said at least a mile.

I used to drop mine off in a field near me, the same one i took the photo's of the barn owl in!!

8. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    So that would be a 'Meals on wheels' would it Glen?? :D :D

9. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  10. Essexgardens

Essexgardens Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HImane trap it is then. Now to tell the wife we've got them... [​IMG]

11. tricia

tricia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Please Help !!! When I opened my compost bin last night A mouse was running around the top of it [​IMG]Now I know it sounds stupid and I know the veg and other waste I put in it must encourage them ,but now I am scared to go near the bin I just didnt expect mice I read this post about mice in the compost bin and using a humane trap I could,nt use anything like that !!!!!Please there must be another way to get rid of them [​IMG]

12. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I don't know why the vegatable waste should particularly attract mice, unless you are putting in cooked food which is known to attract mice and rats. I wonder if the compost is a bit dry? If its a warm and dry and sheltereed it would make a nice cosy nest. The ideal compost should be warm but moist, not ideal for mice to live in.

13. tricia

tricia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Geoff I have only started composting and up to now I only have leaves and twigs at the bottom followed by shredded newspaper and raw veg peeling lots of leaves grass cuttings and all the usual uncooked kitchen waste, potato peeling, egg shells, egg boxes,My bin stands in the full sun all day {which isnt very often just now} do you think maybe thats the problem ? I hose inside it sometimes ,maybe Im not hosing it enough I keep a big stick beside the bin and I give it a few bangs just in case its siting there .I think my neighbours think I,ve gone mad [​IMG]

14. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Every time I add to the compost i put in about a gallon of water. Makes it much too wet for vermin and it seems to rot down beautifully. The only thing I get in there is slugs and snails. While they're in there they're not munching my plants! [​IMG]

15. tricia

tricia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Cajary I will try that and hopefully that will sort out my problem [​IMG]