Microphone for Voice-Over Record on Video?

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Kristen, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I tried making a video of my garden using my Bridge camera. The voice track was swamped by wind noise. Camera microphone is built-in, no obvious means of sticking some foam over it (and what a palaver!). My thought, instead, is to wear a headband mic plugged into my phone (no external mic jack on the camera Boo!Hoo!).

So:

I need a good, but not too expensive, headband/similar mic, and an APP for my iPhone5 pls

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,826
    phone should have a dictaphone app built in i think. Im not an iphone person, an iPerson if you will, but if possible why not film with your phone as well as record audio?

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Hadn't checked that - until now! There is a Voice Memo APP (included as standard), which works just fine for this purpose. Thanks.

Hadn't thought of that, just assumed I would get better quality from my camera (which does full HD 1080p / 24fps).

I'll have a go with my phone and see if it looks good enough ...

... I'd still like any recommendations for a microphone though pls :)

4. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    I record a lot of audio and make videos too.

I would reccomend this program for your computer. I find most apps unrealiable or too stripped back personally. But it depends on how professional you want the video to look.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It's free and 1000's of DJ's use it to record mixes so it's pretty solid. This may need a Lane patch if you want to convert your recording to MP3 though.

Depending on the soundcard on your computer/laptop you should be able to pumb a mic into here. Some programs for producing videos also allow you to record sound over the top, like power director.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Thanks JJ. Although I don't do much of this sort of stuff I have used Audacity, and found it handy in just the way you describe.

The video tool that come with Windows has done me so far - that allows a voice-over sound track to be added to a video. But I want to record the sound to phone (or something), at the same time as I make the video, as it is when I make the video that I have the thought of what to say ... remembering what was in my mind, and re-choosing words that still fit the video! has not worked for me in trying to re-create sound, from scratch, to make a voice-over when I have lost the original sound due to wind.

I suspect that I would benefit from a noise cancelling microphone, or maybe just one with some fluff / foam on it, but the range and price is huge, so I was hoping that someone already had a brand to recommend.

I might toddle off to the Audacity forum (already a member for the one, asinine, question I asked there a year or two back!)

6. GSARider

GSARider Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Can recommend the Rode Smartlav, inexpensive and plugs into an iPhone using the Rode App.

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      "With the SmartLav the user simply mounts the microphone on the talent" ... so that would make ME the Talent, right? I like the sound of that :heehee:

Nearly half the reviews on Amazon say the hiss was unacceptable?

• GSARider

GSARider Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +8
      I haven't found that to be the case. However another solution would be micromuff. Sorry forum won't allow me to post a link, just do a web search.I use this on a Sony Nex 5.

• Like Like x 1