Micropropation?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by alp, Jul 13, 2017.

1. alp

alp Novice

Mum
    Ratings:
    +962
    As a novice, I would like to learn from you.

Come across this term Micro-propagation today. How does it work? Have you tried it? With what? What to look out for ..

Advice appreciated.

2. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,707
    I stand to be corrected, but I think this is something that it would be quite hard to achieve as an individual, unless you have the resources to set up a dedicated laboratory. This RHS link explains more about what's required: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=925

That mentions orchids as one of the houseplants which have fallen hugely in price thanks to micropropagation. I remember being told when I visited Madeira that a considerable percentage of them were being produced there, by one company with a laboratory. Those miniature roses you see sold as 'houseplants' are also produced via micropropagation I believe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +20,951
      Micro propagation is the propagation of plants from small parts of the growing point. It can be used to bulk up hybrids from a single plant. It requires sterile laboratory conditions, and involves growing the small parts on a nutrient jelly, careful control of lighting and temperature as well as treatment with plant hormones.
      It can be used to produce virus free stock from infected parent plants, for example rhubarb, It is pretty much the same as cloning. In some cases it is done using just a few cells.
      It has also been used to propagate old plants that don't strike cuttings.
      Could be an expensive hobby for a dedicated amateur.

• CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
      Ratings:
      +4,304
      Unless you need to produce loads of clones of something (ie like the dutch growers) it isn't a worthwhile thing for amateurs. A similar level of hygiene and lab skill is needed when propagating orchids from seed - I looked into it and frightened myself off it. I decided I didn't need that many orchids all the same...

• alp

alp Novice

Mum
      Ratings:
      +962
      Folks, I'm sorry that I don't seem to have any notifications.. Perhaps, dementia is at work. Or I haven't clicked something.

Bumped into this word and felt strangely familiar! Ah ha! It's a thread started by me! :wallbanging:

Thank you for all the explanations .. I remember seeing a boy growing orchids using this method and he's only a school boy! Amazing!

Thank you for all the advice..