Midge repellant

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Fran, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I plan to take a long coastal trip round Scotland next year. I want advise on a sure fire method of making both me and my dog,safe from midge bites. When I went on holiday to scotland with my parents in earlyMay - I don't remember Midges, but next year it will be a little later on.

Any infallible tips would be gratefully recieved.

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Mostly coastal sites are OK as there is generally sufficient breeze to keep them away, 10 miles or so inland and it's a different story. The midgie season depends on the weather but from June onwards their numbers increase and August is about the peak. Warm still days after rain are the worst. I have seen them make grown men cry! It's the sheer numbers that's the problem and, as always, it's the female of the species that bites :D

A product that has (suprisingly) got a very good reputation is Avon Skin-so-soft Original Dry Oil spray. I haven't used it myself so can't vouch for it but several folk have recommended it.

Personally if I'm out goldpanning I use a very fine mesh full head net with arms and hands covered and a set of chest waders. It ain't pretty but it does keep 99% them out!

3. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Start to put garlic in the dogs diet if you cant get it to eat fresh you can buy garlic tablets for dogs..That will repel the nastys around the dog and you can also put a herbal flea collar on and sprinkle it with extra tea tree oil..
    yourself make sure you take arnica ointment with you as their is nothing finer if you do get bitten as something nasty outside keeps biting me and i use arnica on it and it soon goes down..
    you can use lavender or eucalyptus on your self you can buy sprays allready made up..but you could also make your own.. :D garlic and cayenne is also a repellant for yourself but you dont want to be smelling antisocial..

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Skin-so-soft was recommended to us too - but it didn't really work - sorry! Citronella candles if you're sitting out do help a bit, but the only thing we found helped when out and about is a hat with a midge net, and sprayed that too! Smells awful, and is a bit claustrophobic, but for some people it's better than facing the midges. Personaly, I don't suffer all that badly, so I just put up with it, and don't deliberately camp in damp still hollows...... :D (Hope everyone will consider sponsoring him when it happens, BTW!

Seriously, Fran, you might not find it all that much of a problem, some people don't! Mr Dendy is planning a very long walk and is choosing to avoidbeing in western Scotland after the end of May, as he is pretty badly affected by them, though :rolleyes:

(Hope everyone will think of sponsoring him when it happens, BTW - more details later - it'll be in aid of MSF)

5. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i suffer real bad with midges as we have a stream going through the garden and the best thing ive found is "insect repellent" a pump spray from Tescos,it really works,as if i get bitten i come up in lumps and then they turn into sores

6. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Don't worry macleaf we will kiss them better for you [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    macleaf...you wont get sores if you keep some arnica cream /ointment in the fridge it takes any bites down like magic..its amazing stuff great for nettle stings also.. :D

8. Beefy

Beefy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    When I go fishing I put a couple of drops of lemongrass essential oil on the shoulders of my fishing vest . The midges hate the stuff and I hate them to . :D after a while you dont notice the smell.

9. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    We've moved to Avon SSS as a mozzie repellent when we go the Greece and for midges here in Scotland. We've found it works just as well as the major anti-mozzie preparations though Mrs W always ends up a few bites (I'm lucky and don't react much).Beware DEET. (It's in many of the main anti-mozzie preparations, so read the label)

A very well qualified pharmacologist we met last year in Greece said he would never use preparations containing DEET. It does work as a deterent but may not be too good for 'human beans'.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says-
    "How to use DEET products safely

Consumers can reduce their own risks when using DEET by reading and following products labels. All deet product labels include the following directions:

Read and follow all directions and precautions on this product label.
    Do not apply over cuts, wounds, or irritated skin.
    Do not apply to hands or near eyes and mouth of young children.
    Do not allow young children to apply this product.
    Use just enough repellent to cover exposed skin and/or clothing.
    Do not use under clothing.
    Avoid over-application of this product.
    After returning indoors, wash treated skin with soap and water.
    Wash treated clothing before wearing it again.
    Use of this product may cause skin reactions in rare cases. The following additional statements will appear on the labels of all aerosol and pump spray formulation labels:
    Do not spray in enclosed areas.............. "

Stick to Avon SSS or keep taking the Marmite on toast and eating garlic.
    There's quite a bit more about DEET based products on the web. The Canadian government has set very strict limits on the percentage of DEET that may be used in products - I had a link to their site but have lost it.

10. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Works well for us too Dave!!!

11. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I think on balance I will try Avon sss if I can find some - and take garlic tablets. The dog already has them - I found they were good with my last two for keeping the gut healthy.

Good idea about the arnica Wildflower - thanks.

Any more ideas.

Fran

12. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am allergic to avon products so i dread to think what they put in them..I allways read labels of content and i make my own face and hand cream ..and try to use natural products as much as possible..when i go in the chemist i read the list of ingredients in everything before i buy it..When you think about it they make a lot of soap using caustic soda the stuff that cleans drains out !!!!! just think what that does to your face ???????????

13. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mosquito Attractants

Use this list of items and activities that attract mosquitoes as a list of things to avoid or that can be used as bait to lure mosquitoes away from you.

Dark Clothing
    Many mosquitoes use vision to locate hosts from a distance. Dark clothes and foliage are initial attractants.

Carbon Dioxide
    You give off more carbon dioxide when you are hot or have been exercising. A burning candle or other fire is another source of carbon dioxide.

Lactic Acid
    You release more lactic acid when you have been exercising or after eating certain foods (e.g., salty foods, high-potassium foods).

Floral or Fruity Fragrances
    In addition to perfumes, hair products, and scented sunscreens, watch for the subtle floral fragrance from fabric softeners and dryer sheets.

Skin Temperature
    The exact temperature depends on the type of mosquito. Many mosquitoes are attracted to the slightly cooler temperatures of the extremities.

Moisture
    Mosquitoes are attracted by perspiration because of the chemicals it contains and also because it increases the humidity around your body. Even small amounts of water (e.g., moist plants or mud puddles) will draw mosquitoes. Standing water also allows mosquitoes to reproduce.

Natural Repellents

These natural products will effectively repel mosquitoes, but they require more frequent reapplication (at least every 2 hours) and higher concentrations than DEET. Because of the differences between types of mosquitoes, products that contain multiple repellents tend to be more effective than those containing a single ingredient. As you can see, natural repellents tend to be volatile plant oils.

Citronella Oil
    Castor Oil
    Rosemary Oil
    Lemongrass Oil
    Cedar Oil
    Peppermint Oil
    Clove Oil
    Geranium Oil
    Possibly Oils from Verbena, Pennyroyal, Lavender, Pine, Cajeput, Cinnamon, Basil, Thyme, Allspice, Soybean, and Garlic
    Another plant-derived substance, pyrethrum, is an insecticide. Pyrethrum comes from the flowers of the daisy Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium.

14. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Depressing the list of attractants - but the list of repellants was more interesting.

FRan

15. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I just read that citronella is the best deterrant and it is recommended that you wear light coloured clothes to put off these nasty insects (usually light colours attracts insects, but maybe in Scotland it works differently...) That would be a big concern to me, as I really hate insects flying around in proximity...