Mislabeled Thompson & Morgan Mini Munch cucumbers

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Maria.R, Jul 19, 2024.

1. Maria.R

Maria.R Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Curious to know if anyone else has had this this year..

I've been growing Thompson & Morgan Mini Munch cucumbers for so many years and have never had a problem. They've become my favourite cucumber to grow, usually keeping around 8 plants each year. But this year I've now stagger sown from two of their packets and all of the plants have turned out not to be Mini Munch - so frustrating!

I also sowed 3 Unwins ones last month which are just beginning to grow tiny cucumbers, fingers crossed they are actually the right ones! Wondering if it's worth sowing some more now, or if it's definitely too late for this year..

I emailed T&M about it last month before I knew the second packet had also been mislabelled. They didn't seem very bothered and just sent me a replacement packet for next year :/

edit: oops T&M not T&S!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2024
  2. BobTG

BobTG Plantaholic

None - at last!
    Ratings:
    +260
    Unfortunately, this sort of thing is more common than you may imagine.
    Many of the more popular seeds are supplied wholesale to several of the larger seed retailers, and mix-ups do occur. There's not much you can do about it, other than let the retailer know and all they're likely to do is replace the packet, which is not very useful!

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    T&M have traditionally been poor in their seed varieties being true imo.

Also very good at making wild claims about certain plants, but that's another story.

Sorry miss read your post, I don't know who T&S.

4. ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
    Ratings:
    +3,460
    I bought some plug plants from them last yr and these turned out to be the wrong variety. I sent a photo as soon as the first flower appeared and I realised there was an error with the order ... and they coughed up a refund immediately. I guess there is not much else they can do in the cirs.

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,365
    In all situations such as this they should issue a refund and not send replacements for next year - unless you agree to it. Good suppliers would give a refund and also send a replacement.

6. Maria.R

Maria.R Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone. I guess I've been lucky to not have had a problem with any of their seeds previously.

Definitely agree that Thompson & Morgan should give a choice of refund or replacement. @ViewAhead they weren't strawberry plants were they? I had the same thing happen this year and ended up with 10 strawberry plants from 2 orders, none of which were the ones I'd ordered!

7. ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
    Ratings:
    +3,460
    They were osteospermums, @Maria.R. They were supposed to be a double white with an ice blue centre flower (though I suspect the picture on the listing had been digitally enhanced) and they turned out to be single deep burgundy blooms.

They had them for sale again this spring, but I decided experience should win out over hope, and resisted. :biggrin: Plus, their plug plants are cut back to about 2" tall and it takes ages to grow them to a decent size.

• Like Like x 2
    • hikiwari

hikiwari Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +9
      I've had a problem with T&M. I bought some padron pepper seeds which produced a great crop but our first time cooking them and eating them near blew my head off! I don't know what they were but they certainly weren't mild padron!!