1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mole hills for seed compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by clueless1, Mar 8, 2011.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Hi all.

My dad reckons that Mole hills make excellent seed compost. His logic being that the moles dig below most roots, but above the subsoil, producing lovely fine weed free soil. So I've collected a bucket full from my land with a view to getting some seeds on the go.

Has anyone else heard of this trick? I would have thought the flaw in my dad's logic is that many seeds will be in the soil, that have got there over the years and not had the chance to germinate. Like when you dig over a patch of fairly barron ground and then just leave it, and all sorts of things then appear in it. But my dad reckons he's not the only one that does this trick, and indeed he learnt it from someone else so its not a new idea.

2. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    I've heard that it's very good soil and I always collect it and throw on the top of my garden or allotment but I haven't heard of using it for seeds, but what do I know?!!:D

3. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    I'm NOT fully clued up on this but I recently heard Carol Klein say something that its always best to use a seed compost as opposed to soil due to "Pathogens" and other things in the soil. Seed compost is apparently sterilised removing such nasties.

Steve...:)[hr]
    Just had a quick google and found this statement. "Seed composts need to be low in nutrients partly because some minerals can be harmful to newly germinated plants and partly since they come with enough nourishment built-in to support their growth to the point at which the first pair of true leaves have appeared."

Molehill soil will contain mole droppings, so may be too rich.

Coarse fishermen will know this, but because a Moles diet consists mainly of worms, their droppings and subsequent molehills are collected by anglers, riddled and used as an attracter when fishing.

Steve...:)

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumbsup: I remember my Granny collecting Mole hill soil every spring to re-pot all her pot plants into & she really did have the healthiest pot plants for miles.... :WINK1: :D Thinking about it she did use some for certain seeds but not all..... I often look at the mole hills when out walking & remember those days fondly....... :D Nevr have a bag or trowel with me though.... :DOH: I did find this really interesting snippet though which I didn't know about..... :WINK1:
    :heehee: So even John Innes saw the benefit Clueless.... :D

5. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    My father's walk to work would take him past fields with mole hills and he would come home with a bag full every day to use in his greenhouse borders.

I would also collect it to earn extra pocket money.

Over the course of many years our back garden soil level ended up about 100mm higher than the neighbours' purely from all those countless bags of mole hill soil.