Moles

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Palustris, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,070
    Six months ago I built a new alpine plant display feature. It looked good and the plants obviously liked it since most of them grew. However, over the last few weeks a pesky mole has completely ruined it. Either plants have been pushed out with molehills or left with their roots dangling in the critter's tunnels. I have spent the day dodging showers, deconstructing the bed. Grrrrrr.I hate moles. They have already totally ruined the Lavender parterre we built.

[ 25. October 2005, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Palustris ]

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    Palustris,

Try

www.suttons-seeds.co.uk , and enter into the 'Keyword search' bar 570412 .

What you should have is the Anti-mole bulbs, not sure how good they are, but anything is worth a go.

Hope this helps

Nathan.

3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,070
    Ta, but we have tried everything and nothing works other than the traps. The mole which did this damage is no more, but I still have to reconstruct the bed to get rid of the tunnels, the mole hills and refirm the rocks before replanting.
    Surrounded by farm land which is well moled we do not stand much chance of keeping them out.
    We did try those electronic anti-mole things. Great, they all came to see what the noise was!
    Emptied the grey water out of the septic tank down the runs. That kept them away from that area for years, but not the sort of thing I want to do again.

4. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    Hi Palustris, Many years ago I had a uncle [farmer] who could catch a mole with nothing more than a stick. The offending mole would be making it's mound when uncle would rush up and heel down the moles escape tunnel/s and dig it out with his stick.