Money-off vouchers, do they really save money?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Doghouse Riley, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    On the way to our local Waitrose yesterday, my wife told me she had a "£5 off £30" voucher to use. She also collects vouchers from all the "expensive magazines" she buys, so I'm not sure about the actual savings she achieves.

The conversation continued like this;

"I've got another for next week and also a £5 one for M&S at Handforth the week after."

We occasionally go to Handforth but since they made the two-floor M&S at the Trafford Centre into four-floors, that's not much more in the way of textiles and clothing at Handforth her main reason for wanting to go there.

"Handforth? at 24 miles to the gallon? It'll cost me a fiver in petrol to get there and back!"

She came back with; "How can I save money if I can't use the vouchers I save?

I just sighed.

Keeping a straight face she continued.

"Tell you what, give me £5, I'll throw the voucher away and you won't need to take me there!"

I'm still trying to work that one out.

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Similar to money saving experts who suggest you should drive a bit further afield to get petrol at a slightly cheaper service station. The money that you would save is spent in petrol getting to the service station in the first place!

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :dh: These vouchers drive me nuts to be honest DH.... Half the time you spend extra money to use the voucher not just shop normally..... I must be terribly boring as I ditch most of them..!! :lollol:

4. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    They can be a real con. Recently I think she said she had a voucher for £3 off the large size Fairy dishwasher sachets, yet the half size were "buy one get one free" so were much cheaper than the large size even with the three pounds off.

The best vouchers she says are those for a pound or two off expensive magazines, young check-out operators will often let you use them on anything, whereas the older ones will insist that you have to buy the magazine.

5. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    I only use a voucher if there's money off something I'd buy anyway, but by and large those I get are useless. Tesco for example, have recently along with my 'Clubcard' vouchers, been sending me money off coupons for things I never buy - OK so they want me to try some organic, free-range breakfast cereal or whatever and I suppose a voucher might induce some to do so, but what - with 3 grown up daughters - am I supposed to do with £3 off 120 Pampers nappies?

On the subject of 'cons' - this in my local Tesco yesterday (and, I notice, on Mysupermarket.co.uk):

R Whites Lemonade (2L) - 80p. each or ........ 2 for £1.60 Bargain!!!! :yho:

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Save them until you get to my age! Then you might have a use for them:old: :hehe: :lollol:

I've just used the 5p per litre off voucher for my petrol. I can buy a pack of Pampers with the saving. :gnthb: :D

Doghouse, does your wife have a Waitrose/John Lewis card? If she does she can get the Waitrose magazine free. We signed up for the card years ago. Never used it but flash it when we take a magazine. :)

7. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Somehow or other I came across a quiz the other day entitled 'How chav are you?' I scored quite highly on account of my propensity to shop at the local Co-Op, eat own-brand beans and save coupons.

http://chavstest.com/quiz/index.php

8. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413

Do you mean the weekly magazine? 'cos that's free anyway.

If you mean a "periodical" to be honest, we've never seen one.

No she doesn't have a Waitrose credit card, but she does have an M&S one so she gets their magazine free..

9. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,455
    It's a monthly magazine with over 100 pages that they used to charge £2 for but now charge £1. Quite good and with good recipes.

10. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    I'm only 26% 'chav' - proving what I always suspected, that I'm out of step with 74% of the population!

11. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    I've always been out of step...and I really identify with the remark by Groucho Marx; "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member!"

12. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I scored 41%, I'll have to try harder next time.

I use the 5p off petrol vouchers, saves me a coouple of quid each fill up at the moment at Tescos.

13. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,455
    I scored 7% :scratch: but it did say it was for mums. :lollol:

14. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    I'm the same as you Fidgetsmum{26%}but then I always knew I was a bit different from everyone else:yez::D

15. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    The money saving vouchers sent by the suoermarkets are a very clever marketing ploy, they know all your buying habits from their loyalty card schemes, so they target you with things that you don't normally buy. You might try the more expensive breakfast cereal because of the money off voucher, but the following week you find it's on your shopping list because the kids are hooked on it.