Monkey Puzzle trees as bonsai?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by PuzzledMonkey, May 27, 2015.

1. PuzzledMonkey

PuzzledMonkey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Further to my collection (and my favourite kids, perhaps) are the monkey puzzle trees. There is one in my local park back home in England, and I guess I immediately fell in love with it's peculiar, "Alien-Christmas tree" like appearance and got my hands on some seeds as fast as I could. I had no luck germinating initially, as they seem to be quite temperamental things but I found success in both a few live specimens as well as seeds provided by a wonderful online nursery.

Here's the family, not including a few seeds which are just now poking their heads up, fingers crossed for them :)

IMAG0393.jpg IMAG0394.jpg IMAG0395.jpg IMAG0397.jpg IMAG0398.jpg

I understand that this is not conventional, but I was wondering if anybody has any direct experience with, or has heard of monkey puzzle trees being trained as bonsai. I was told by somebody that being a monocotyl, if it is cut or coppiced it will try to grow again from the base, however I have seen pictures of various other pine trees being trained as bonsai, the most relevant being a close relative of Arucaria Arucana: http://houseofplants.co.uk/Resources/400temp/AraucariacunninghamiaBonsai.jpg

Would it ever be possible to pinch/prune this to achieve a desired dwarf effect? Or should I just leave them alone in the hope of one day having the most exotic x-mas tree in all of Hungary :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,893
      I don't think there are many members with Bonsai experience PuzzledMonkey. But if anyone can help you I'm sure they'll spot your thread here. :)

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Ric,
      I've done a bit of research for you...

Apparently the Norfolk Island Pine (Araucaria Heterophylla) is s better choice for s bonsai.

Here are two sites for you to look at

www.bonsaitreeforums.com

www.hollowcreekbonsai.com

Hope I've helped :)

• Like Like x 1
      • PuzzledMonkey

PuzzledMonkey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +9

Hey there, thanks very much! That's very kind of you. The Araucaria Heterophylla is certainly a very interesting looking tree. I actually have 30 or so seeds from a miscellaneous pine tree in the area I foraged myself. I've got my fingers tightly crossed with that one because I was a bit late getting to it, the cones had already begun to drop but I was lucky enough to find many seeds that failed to release. Beautiful tree too, if I germinate even one I'll be happy.

Re: those websites, I don't know what's going on with the bonsai tree forums site but twice I've tried to register, have received no verification email, and sent about 5 emails to the admins as well as two posts in the chat box over the course or a week and I've received no reply! Very frustrating because it seems like my one-stop-shop but they aren't very proactive with resolving registration issues... Will look at the other site hoping I have better luck.

• Like Like x 1
        • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Best of luck with the seeds, don't forget the pics when they do germinate.

I guess all you can do is keep trying with the bonsai forum, is there no phone no you could try?

I suppose not every forum hss the high standards of GC. I'll receive my payment by cheque thanks admins :)