Montbretia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by honeytone, Jun 17, 2008.

1. honeytone

honeytone Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Right'o, here's my first question...

I'm desperate to have Montbretia growing around my garden, as I think it is one of the most beautiful flowers. My Mother always had it growing in her garden and to me it's just the epitome of Summer.

Two years in a row I have planted bulbs, at the time specified on the packet, in two seperate places in the garden, but there's been absolutely no signs of life from either. Both lots were planted into borders which are sheltered and pretty much get full sun.

I'm at a loss as to why they wont grow and have even thought of trying to start some off in pots next year to eventually transplant into the borders. Would this work?

2. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I was going to suggest trying them in pots. They like humous rich, moist but well drained soil and protect them from frost if possible. It's frustrating when they don't grow. I had a crocosmia lucifer which is the same family and I gave a cutting to Mother-in-law, hers took over and mine died and we only lived down the road from each other!
    I've had better luck since we moved, they grow like weeds here and look absolutely gorgeous!

3. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Honeytone, I have the same problem here with trying to get them to grow. I think with my garden the Forsythia my neighbour had the other side of the fence was draining all the goodness from the spot where I planted most of mine but then they didn't come up elsewhere in the garden either. Might try some in pots next time too!

4. The Lost Antheus

The Lost Antheus Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Weird things montbretia. In my garden (heavy clay soil, catches the wind and lacking in many nutrients from the years of neglect from before we had it) it grows like a weed and I am constantly having to pull it up while friends with similar conditions down south can't get it to take at all. Maybe if you know some one who has a big clump of them they could give you some?

5. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Send me a stamped addressed envelope and I will send you loads of freebies :)

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I have honestly never heard of anyone not being able to grow Crocosmia ( formerly Montbretia ). I really am amazed. They were the first thing I ever grew, when I was about 5. :D:thumb:

7. biker

biker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I too am surprised you've had so much of a problem. My 'Lucifer' are about to bloom, two months early by my reckoning. Bought this spring as corms and potted up then put into the ground when about 6 inches high. Now about 3 feet and looks like they will take over anything in their path. However when transplanting them from pot to garden I did notice two corms I had potted upside down which were trying to put their shoots downwards-ish.

8. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    "I had potted upside down which were trying to put their shoots downwards-ish. "

Give them a chance, they may bloom in New Zealand! ;)

9. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    One things for certain, once youve got them they are murder to remove. why not try asking a freind if you can dig up a clump up.

One properyty i work at I am ree planting a border and totally removing whats there, the montbresia took 3 aplications of roundup to kill it!!!!

10. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Put the corms in upside down and the shoots will still find their way to the light.

11. honeytone

honeytone Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's had difficulty. :o

My Mam couldn't understand why I'd had trouble either. Sadly, she no longer has them in her garden otherwise I would've asked her for a clump. I think I'll definately give them ago in pots and see how I fair.

12. The Lost Antheus

The Lost Antheus Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Is it possible that they don't like chalky soil? My friends live near Portsmouth and they have great difficulty in growing them.