Moon gardening? what the heck???

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Plant Potty, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Plant Potty

Plant Potty Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    I had to go to the doctors today, after a long 20 minutes of waiting I picked up one of those old well thumbed mags (hope it did'nt have bird flue lolz) after flicking through boring pages of dribble I found an article on "Moon Gardenig"!?!?!

Tho sods law just as I found something of interest to read the GP called me in, I've done a google search and it turns out it's true, well true as in there is such a term, but how true is its use? any forum members running around in the dark? and do you think you get better results?

Plant Potty. :)

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I'm aware of the concepts, but as far as I can tell, there is only one bit that might be logical enough to have any scientific backing.

Harvesting under moonlight, ie at night, means you're cutting the plant when it's dormant for the night. The sugars don't turn into starches as quickly so the crop keeps its flavour for longer. The moon has nothing to do with it, just that if its under moonlight, it is obviously not broad daylight when the plant is most active.

• Like Like x 2
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hmm, might be poplier in Glastonbury. But not in Zigsville:scratch:

• Like Like x 3
      • Plant Potty

Plant Potty Gardener

Ratings:
        +120
        It also said something about planting due to the increased height of the water table, the same gravitational pull that gives such high tides around coast lines aslo pulls the water table up, ALOT, it said something about the Inka's (sp) using the moons cycle to plant and harvest their crops.

Interesting stuff lolz:heehee:

• catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
        Ratings:
        +2,250
        I always thought it meant gardening with no pants on........

• Like Like x 5
        • Flowerpot

Flowerpot Gardener

Self Employed Courier
          Ratings:
          +85
          It doesn't mean you have to garden in the dark :heehee: the moon is there all the time but in its monthly cycle goes through different phases, heres a link....Gardening by the Phases of the Moon

• Like Like x 3
          • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
            Ratings:
            +3,702
            Like Clueless, I'm aware of it but that's as far as it goes.

Zig may remember someone called Chis Lyons from Anglers Net, a Lunar-tic angler who stated he could pin down the better times to catch fish, this was met with total disbelief until one day he forecast three times during a day and on that day a whole bunch of AN members went fishing together. End result, three fish caught, bang on time and I was there that day to note the exact times. Because of this I would not dispel the moon theory in gardening but for now I will continue growing in the more traditional sense.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
            • Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +865
              There was a prog (eons ago) on BBC - I guess - which followed a group of final year horticultural students. For her 'dissertation' (or end of course project, call it what you will) one of them decided to do moon planting (alongside 'normal' planting) to see if there was any difference between the two. I can't now remember what she planted, apart from the fact that it was veggies, but there was some evidence to suggest that some of those planted under this system did appear to do slightly better. Of course, it's a disseration in itself to argue whether this was because of the moon, tiny changes in the soil, the seeds themselves or a whole raft of other factors - but for anyone wishing to give it a try -

Guide to planting by the moon - The Gardeners Calendar

• Like Like x 2
              • Plant Potty

Plant Potty Gardener

Ratings:
                +120
                Thanks for the replies and good links, Ladies, Gents and ziggies:heehee:

I must say it does make some sence, and is all very interesting, its been my first year gardening "proper" like, one massive mistake I've learnt is that I should always jot down my planting times etc, that I'll do from now on, but just out of interest I'm going to note down the moon as well, just for fun:yahoo:

Plant Potty. :)

• Like Like x 1
                • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +4,015
                  There is a chap who calls himself The Moon Gardener - R J Harris. I have heard him interviewed once or twice on radio and seen him and his garden in Cornwall on the TV.

My sister, who is a keen veg grower, was very interested - so I bought her Harris's book for Christmas - though I doubt that she ever read it. Before wrapping it up I had a quick read of parts of it (as you do!). It was not easy to read, and it hardly mentioned gardening by the phases of the moon at all - though after you have stated it once there is not much more than you can say. What it did do was give precise and detailed instructions on the best way of growing veg - soil preparation, crop rotation etc.

My suspicion is that Moon Gardening is an old superstition used by American Indians and, I am sure, by many other primative peoples. Whilst I like to keep an open mind on most things - I don't really see any scientific basis, which makes me sceptical.

However it was clear from the book and the interviews with Harris that he is a very good old fashioned gardener. And, if the system works well, then you stick with it.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Plant Potty

Plant Potty Gardener

Ratings:
                    +120
                    "Let all men know how empty and worthless is the power of kings. For there is none worthy of the name but God, whom heaven, earth and sea obey".
                    So spoke King Canute the Great, the legend says, seated on his throne on the seashore, waves lapping round his feet. Canute had learned that his flattering courtiers claimed he was "So great, he could command the tides of the sea to go back". Now Canute was not only a religious man, but also a clever politician. He knew his limitations - even if his courtiers did not - so he had his throne carried to the seashore and sat on it as the tide came in, commanding the waves to advance no further. When they didn't, he had made his point that, though the deeds of kings might appear 'great' in the minds of men, they were as nothing in the face of God's power.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +16,248
                    I am very sceptical on most of the new-age type thinking . But I would love to give the "Biodynamic cycle " a go next year :stirpot:
                    Jiffy - when would be best , i.e. what phase of the moon - to sow some tricky flower seeds, say around early March 2012 ?

TIA

PS; Just read the links kindly provided by Fidgetsmum and Plant potty :dbgrtmb: Now would the lunar planting have any effect when planting inside , in seed trays on a propagator ? Or is it only for outside sown seeds?

• Like Like x 1
                    • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
                      +1,593
                      this method is practised by indigenous (sp) farmers in rural areas of africa ... they have been using this method for hundreds of years and swear by that

• Plant Potty

Plant Potty Gardener

Ratings:
                      +120
                      I'm sure thats the guy in the mag as per my OP, the mag was called just "Cornwall" and dated Aug 2009 (cheap skate Doctors eh?) anyway from what I read he had found 150 year old data, nver did read it all tho, the Doctors is only 100 yards from my front door so I might find something else wrong with me n go finish my read:WINK1:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                      +48,925
                      I recall a Gardeners World trial a year or two back where they reckoned on increased yields of 30% using this moon planting theory.

Prince Charles is a fan of this theory, found this on the web: "Many others, like Prince Charles, turn to lunar gardening out of a deep instinct that natural patterns lie at the heart of the cosmos and even a lowly lettuce is part of the grand plan“

So there you have it, a gardening system for lunatics endorsed by a lunatic. It must be worth a try :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1