More Aubergine / Tomato Questions

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Deserter, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Deserter

Deserter Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm growing some aubergine and tomato plants, and they're in a plastic greenhouse - am I better off opening it up and keeping the temperature at about 25, or keeping it closed and the plants well watered, with a much higher temperature (35-40)? I had thought the former, but I've just gone to open it and noticed that the plants seem to have grown a couple of inches in the last hour or so!

2. nicsdad

nicsdad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi Deserter

I keep mine closed. Only got it at xmas (good woman) do,nt know IF the sun comes out to play mybe open it midday.

3. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I would definitely keep it open, nothing to be gained by rapid growth as it would make them leggy, temperature could become too high, plants can't take in enough water to cope with drying out leaves. Also will attract aphids more if not ventilated.

No need to close up at this time of year, but all this for tomatoes, never grown aubergines. ;)

4. nicsdad

nicsdad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wind, Rain, seaside, no sun, open exposure and portable plastic. I think best keept closed for now :cool:

5. LCH

LCH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have always taken my dad's advice, keep it closed during the night and leave it open during the day otherwise the temperature will get too hot and they will wilt. Also depending on how high your greenhouse is you might end up having to bring them outside anyway as they grow quite tall.

6. Deserter

Deserter Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks all - I've brought the tomatoes out as they get tall, and planted in growbags once they've started to flower, and that seems to be having some success. The aubergines are still in the greenhouse, which I've kept closed (I've only just seen this thread), but have been watering up to twice a day. In one of the greenhouses, which gets slightly more sun than the other, the growth is a bit disappointing, but the other one seems to be flourishing. I'll bring them out anyway once they start to flower, to help with pollination, which did for me last year.