More moss than grass

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Jayem, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Jayem

Jayem Apprentice Gardener

Retired eSystems Manager
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a lawn 40 mts x 10 mtrs and has more moss than grass. Is there a quick fix I could try without digging up and starting again?

2. Rob Jones

Rob Jones Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jayem
    You can rake the majority of the moss out and/or use a lawnfeed and moss killer. You'll be left with large areas of bare lawn.
    It's late now for seeding so you may be better waiting until the spring.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    You should not have to dig it up. I'd try and rake out the moss now before the winter give it a feed, then wait till spring to sow more grass seed. I wonder why you have so much moss, is it north facing or very shady?

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Jayem.. Is your garden very shaded..?? Do what JWK says but make sure you use a winter lawn feed.. :wink:

5. Jayem

Retired eSystems Manager
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response guys, it does face north and is very shaded - it has the house to the south and a 3 mtr Laurel hedge to the other three sides. I guess the poor old grass does not have chance against the moss.I will though take your advice rake it out and apply a winter feed and seed next spring, I will post again next May to let you know the results.

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jayem,

If the site favours moss and not grass, maybe you should be going for the japanese moss garden approach instead. Why fight it.

Have a google at a few pics, could be very nice with some stepping stones & stuff.:)

7. Jayem

Retired eSystems Manager
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ziggy,
    I did google Japanese moss gardens and it was food for thought, after all moss is green does not have weeds, does not need cutting and during a dry summer is like having a light brown fitted carpet. Seriously though I am determined to have a lawn of grass rather than moss.

8. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    We put up with moss in our 'lawn', it quite nice and soft for the kids to play on and the best thing is it suppresses the grass, meaning I don't have to mow very often.