More tomato problems

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by kryssy, Jun 30, 2007.

1. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm following on from Minxter's thread - hope you don't mind Minxter. I have 26 tomato plants, ordinary, plum and cherry mixed together. I haven't been able to get down to see them much this week and now this -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks pretty deadly to me. There are only about 4 plants not affected.

Is it hopeless? [​IMG]

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    IT looks like blight.
    Copper spray is the only chance I reckon.
    Never seen it this early, it must be wet there.

3. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Like UK - it hasn't stopped raining for a month - well it did stop today but it will be back tomorrow. I've got some spray left by the previous owners. I usually don't like using sprays but if you think it is worth it I'll give it a go. Take off all the fruits I suppose? Shall I take off all the leaves below the blotches too?

Thanks Pete.

4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    Blight moves very fast, and is difficult to stop once started.
    I've had problems in the past with it and it really ruins the crop.
    Any unaffected plants need to be sprayed with a fungicide that says it works on potato/tomato blight, you can remove the really badly affected parts of the other plants and spray them as well.
    I think the garden must have had problems with blight before you moved in, I believe it overwinters in leaf litter etc.

5. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pete.
    I cannot understand how they could get it from infected ground. The place they are in is a new bed which I made about 18 months ago from the grass field. But as it was one of three I made then, I haven't been able to afford to plant it up so it has lain bare all that time and I just keep the weeds down. I have used it as my bonfire place so wouldn't the fires have killed anything in the soil? My neighbour rotavated it for me in the spring when I decided to use it as a temporary veggie plot this year and I put the contents of the compost bin on it. (The compost would have had tomato residue from the kitchen but no previously grown veggies from the garden).

It's probably all the rain we have had. Masses and masses for weeks now. So unusual.

I have noticed that my neighbour has dug up ALL his potato plants which is very unusual. When I see him I'll ask if he has had the blight too. He is usually out there every night picking off the beasties one by one - such a labour of love!!

Next year I hope to have a proper veggie plot but perhaps tomatoes are better grown under cover.

Thanks everyone for your help. The plants are on their way to the incinerator.

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
  7. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Could be, Pete. We have a prevailing southerly wind and his garden is south of mine.