Morning Glory

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Gillypetunia, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I sowed some MG about a month ago and they are all growing pretty well in the kitchen in individual pots. They are getting pretty big so I have started to stake them up so they can grow up some cane etc.

I have a question though, a few of the leaves have curled up at the corners - why is this?

thanks

GillyP :D

2. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    not sure, my MG are struggeling, some leaves curled up, and some of proper leaves going yellow.

according to Christopher Lloyd, MG struggle like this when temperature is too cold, so I am going to sow some more when weather warmer at night and days longer.

3. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My Morning Glories are banging on the top of the cold frame....going to have to put them out before long!! Trouble is, I haven't yet finished where they are going to go....good job I saved some seeds as it's going to be a race against time!! :rolleyes: [​IMG]

4. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks...I have some spares so I think I will sow some more in a few weeks when it's even warmer. Mine are in the kitchen so in the day when the sun is on them they love it, but at night the heating is hardly on so the temp must be a lot cooler for them. They are now far too large to cover up at night... I might test a few outside at night in the mini-greenhouse? It's all trial and error and considering these are the first things that I have grown from seed, if a few have curled up then I am hoping in a few weeks or so they will get stronger... gah

5. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Hi Gilly

Do you have a shed or garage you could put them into as a sort of halfway house? It would help them get used to the cooler outside temperatures.

6. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there :D

I do have a shed but I don't think it is light enough. I was thinking of maybe putting some shelves under the windows next year for my plants. What I did do though is keep the MG in the mini-greenhouse, a few leaves went crusty but after I removed them some nice green leaves have appeared.

I have also made my own protection for them now as I have moved them right outside. I have some chicken wire that I have made into a cylinder. I have lined the inside with bubble wrap and so far, touch wood they are doing okay!!! :D

7. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    Mine are the same! I came on here today to ask about them. I had them in a heated propagator. first taking the lid off, then turning the heat off and they were fine. I put them outside and they've all curled up as though they have no water, but the stems are still strong.
    I will start to bring them in at night as I have nowhere to use as a halfway house either.

8. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone! Good news on my Morning Glory (I really thought that I had lost them!). I have put them on a shelft in the shed right by the window. They are in a big stone black pot and I have a cone for them to grow up. They have gone mad and I have already had some stunning purple / blue flowers (about 5 now!).

Each day I check on them and the little leaves that arrived the day before have doubled in size. I will post a pic when it gets really established! I know now that they got too cold which is why the leaves curled up and turned yellow. I have taken the dead leaves off too.

GillyP :D

9. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    We haven't grown any this year but Mrs shiney had a good idea last year. She grew them in a big pot and up some canes but, in June, put the pot alongside a very large Evening Primrose plant. The Morning Glory grew into the E.P. and everyone remarked on how good they looked together. Their blooming times overlapped quite a bit.

10. nicsdad

nicsdad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i planted my MG's 4 days ago and 6 on there way already, I plant them with the sunflowers,the climbing roses,the honeysuckle and around the fig tree

11. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Here's a shelf-full of MG! And there's more..... but one photo willb e enough, I reckon - more to follow when they flower, as I have several different cultivars! :D

[​IMG]

BTW, I do know about that tap connection - all MIL's fault!

12. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Have you planted your MG's out nicsdad?
    Because I have and I'm wondering whether it is too early :( as the slugs have demolished at least one!!!

13. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My mina lobata (spanish flag) same family as morning glory, is out and doing ok, kept some back though just in case as I go on hols in 2 weeks.

14. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have a mina lobata flowering - but it is a very odd looking specimine.

15. pinklady

pinklady Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I grew MG last year from seed and they were fab up my usually unsightly garage wall. I was going to try sweet peas this year and realised the other day that there are squillions of MG's popping out of the ground, I take it this is what's called self seeding ? They are very small (1 set of leaves so far) but there is a trellis there ready for them. Isn't it a bit cold now ??, should I cover them at night or will they be ok being as they seeded themselves ?