Moss & new grass (What can I do)

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Bob Duckodil, May 22, 2013.

1. Bob Duckodil

Bob Duckodil Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I am a novice, so please bare with me... My garden suffers from moss, so after reading a few forums decided that moss killer and a rake was the way to go...

In autum last year, I applied the moss killer, which then turned brown. I then raked away the brown moss. At this point, the grass looked very patchy with areas completely void of grass. I applied some grass seed. Winter set in, with plenty of snow etc, so I didn't expect much of the new grass seed. With no results, I have applied some more grass seed around 6 weeks ago... but again, I don't seem to be getting much luck...

And now the moss is beginning to grow back!

Can anyone suggest what I should do...

Tackle the moss and possibly remove any hope of new grass growth or soilder on with the grass growth and deal with the moss when the grass is stronger?

Also, the area does get some sun, but is shaded for most of the day (when we get any sunshine that is :o) )

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

2. Kris Lord

Kris Lord Lawn Care Expert

Lawn Care Business Owner
    Ratings:
    +166
    How is the soil in the bare areas?
    Can you push a stick into it? Do any weeds grow there now that it is bare? Does it look "dead"?

A common mistake of novice gardeners is the thinking that grass will grow anywhere. It is a plant and needs a good soil to live in.

You need really good, friable soil for grass to grow in heavy shade. Have you got any pictures?

Kris

3. Bob Duckodil

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Kris,
    I can push a stick into it, but it is tough. I have a foot based aerator, which sinks in with some ease (although does feel that it is scratching past stones half the time).

I have used products in the past, but nothing this year other than grass seed and fertiliser (pre-mixed).

And I have covered the area in a very thin layer of top soil found in the garage (so probably quite old)... This also actually dried with a white colour to it?

I will take some pictures when I get home and post them tomorrow.

Thanks
    Bob

4. Bob Duckodil

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Kris,
    Here are a few pictures of my lawn...
    Thanks
    Bob

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5. Kris Lord

Lawn Care Business Owner
    Ratings:
    +166
    Hi Bob,
    That looks like pretty poor soil. You're not going to get anything to grow on that by the looks of things, let alone grass!
    I would suggest sinking a LOT of holes into it, as many as you can, as close as you can and as deep as you can. I would then brush in a lot of compost into it to try to get some life back into the soil. Water it well. Leave six weeks or so and then do it again.
    Your grass will then thicken over time and should recover pretty well on its own.

Always sort out the soil first before trying to chuck chemicals and seed onto it.

Hope that helps!

Kris

• Like Like x 1
    • Bob Duckodil

Ratings:
      +2
      Great advice, I'll do just that, thanks Kris!

Bob

• Bob Duckodil

Ratings:
      +2
      Will any compost do for grass? I can get a peat based compost, but have read mixed reviews on this... can you clarify, I'd like to do this right first time...
      Thanks
      Bob

• Kris Lord

Lawn Care Business Owner
      Ratings:
      +166
      I would go for a good quality, fine, soil-based compost, such as a John Innes No. 3 would do the trick.