1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Moss over winter?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Scudo, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Scudo

Scudo Gardener

Retired layabout
    Ratings:
    +268
    I have got my lawn in reasonable condition but now as we enter the colder damp months I have noticed some moss beginning to form.
    Should I use some iron sulphate to keep it in check over the winter months. Ideally I want to kill existing moss now so that it is less of a problem come springtime.

2. Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
    +599
    Killing the moss off with ferrous sulphate will obviously make your lawn look black in places and it will stay that way for a long time, unless scarified but it's likely too late now to scarify.

Dead moss takes a long time to disappear and as moss has a creeping tendency (although springy turf moss has no roots as such), you will probably find the problem will get worse as the winter progresses. Killing it, at least in my opinion, is worhwhile as it shouldn't create bare earth patches where dandelion seeds etc will easily be able to propagate as they are still being blown around and ready to set up camp on 1mm of bare soil. As grass grows all year round, the infected areas of grass may recover underneath somewhat over the winter

There's always a reason why some lawns are more prone to moss infestations than others and it may be wothwhile aerating your lawn as damp/drainage may be the issue and to stop grass roots rotting and moss taking over. There are also many reasons why moss can manifest itself and I suggest buying the "Lawn Expert - by Dr D.G. Hessayson" book from Amazon. Second hand, it sells for only a quid or two + postage and there is a vast wealth of info in there about lawn care.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Scudo

Scudo Gardener

Retired layabout
      Ratings:
      +268
      I know one of the reasons is drainage but I am not as fit as I used to be so I have to look at easier options. I did over the last year lower the bedding strips around the lawn in the hope that it will allow excess water to drain out of the lawn. The previous owners however have the lawn in a bricked raised area which doesnt help.
      I will go with the ferrous sulphate at least if I can stall the growth of the moss over the next few months that will be a big help.

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,089
      Have you checked if you are being overshadowed by trees bushes etc as moss thrives in shade.
      I wouldn't put anything on the lawn till early spring and scarifying now would be a disaster. Snow is forecast today and the grass has stopped growing here in Scotland so if you scarily you'll be left with mud for months.
      I'm a fellow moss sufferer btw.