Moss problems

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by penfrost, Feb 3, 2013.

1. penfrost

penfrost Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My lawn has been progressively getting worse over the years with a moss infestation.

Im trying to find out how to kill it off with out damaging the grass that has survived.

Ive already had people recommend i get on my hands and knees and pick it all out but I have a large garden so its not practical. PLease help im desperate for some advice!

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Hello and welcome:)

If you get down on your hands and knees and try to pick it out, I know exactly when you'll have the job finished. It begins with 'N' and ends in 'ever'.

Can you post some pics so we can see how bad the problem is, because the corrective plan depends on many factors.

Best thing I've found is to top dress with sharp sand, and brutally rake out the moss after adding the sand. This serves several purposes, but first it helps to understand what makes moss thrive. Moss likes damp conditions, and it likes shade. Moss is very, very shallow rooted.

Adding sharp sand and then raking does the following:
    * Physically tears out the moss
    * Breaks the crust that forms on the soil surface, improving drainage and airflow to the grass roots
    * The sand forms a very shallow free draining layer on top of the soil, which moss doesn't like.
    * If you have 'thatch' (where old grass has died and built up under the good grass), raking will tear that out.

Inevitably, some good grass will get damaged in the process. If the grass is generally healthy it will recover quickly. Otherwise it might be necessary to over seed.

All of this is based on my experience, but I'm not the most experienced person here, so I have no doubt others will be along to correct or refine my advice.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • penfrost

penfrost Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Ive attached some images, as you can see with some of the other bits growing on the lawn, the amount of grass in some areas is seriously low!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
        1.jpg
        File size:
        149.6 KB
        Views:
      • 2.jpg
        2.jpg
        File size:
        160.6 KB
        Views:
      • 3.jpg
        3.jpg
        File size:
        130.5 KB
        Views:
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,248
      Hello Penfrost
      I have the same problem my front lawn seems to have developed into a front moss over winter ! Never seen it so bad . I will be applying moss killer ( not sure who's make ) , scarifying , then reseed and top dress . I plan to start this towards the end of March. Have a look on the lawn section of this forum there may be some advice there.