Moth Orchid

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Archdoodler, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Archdoodler

Archdoodler Gardener

Illustrator and Designer
    Ratings:
    +1
    This plant is a constant headache to me! I have a moth orchid, about five years old. For the last three years it hasn't flowered. The new flower spike withers towards the end of January, and it stays like it is until it tries again in November. I repotted it last year using Westlands Orchid Compost, but find these little jumping bugs seem to love living in this medium, and I'm quite close to binning it and just getting a new Orchid...any suggestions? When watered, I put it on a rack and let all the water drain out of it and it's on a west facing window. I just want it to flower! Good root growth, and fed once every two weeks.

Cheers!

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    RE: Moth Orcid

To be honest and a bit mercenary, I would bin it. You may be attatched to it but if it hasn't flowered in three years then I doubt if it will again. They're so cheap now that you might as well buy get another.

3. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951

Hi,
    These orchids like a lot of air around the roots, I used to have mine in very coarse bark so that you could actually see the roots amongst the bark. Never give too much water they like it slightly dryish and they must be kept warm even at night, will not tolerate cold at all.
    Hope you can save it!! :thumb:

Val

4. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827

Please post a photo.

I tend to spray my orchids with tepid water.

And if you haveroom to keep this yes by almeans but as others have said the price of orchids take the pleasure and but another .

All my orchids are resting having bloomed except 2 that are still in bloom and 1 that is about to delight us for the very 1st with a rebloom.

I shall post a photo later as its such abeauful crisp sunny morning going away for a long walk.

e

5. Archdoodler

Archdoodler Gardener

Illustrator and Designer
    Ratings:
    +1

Added.

Attached Files:

6. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Dont give up Arch doodler perfectly healthy if you can;t wait fo rthis to bloom treat yourslef to on the phal orchids you see fop r£5 -8pounds .

But dont throw this away.

Start just give a light spray.

If pot is heavy it does not need adrink if ligh tit does and if roots are white it needs a drink if roots are green it does not.

Hope I have beenof soem help.

Scotkat good luck