Mould problem

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Gardening Newbie, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Gardening Newbie

Gardening Newbie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've sown some Delphiniums in a pot covered with Vermiculite (sp) about a week ago & on checking yesterday a very fine mould has appeared, its covering the surface & today its got thicker, its plain white, any ideas what it could be? I've used the same compost/vermiculite (fresh) on all the other seeds I've sown & nothing has appear on them :confused:

Helen

2. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    hi Helen,dont know for sure but maybe if its just the single pot and all others are ok.could be that that certain pot had some kind of bacteria in it.are the pots new?

3. Gardening Newbie

Gardening Newbie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the pots are new & I always disinfect even new pots with Armillatox, its very odd, the only thing I can think of is that the seeds were "off"

Helen

4. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Mildews;these fungal diseases attack stressed plants,those that have become dry at the roots,stagnant air conditions.Avoid overcrowding and keep consistantly watered,devours affected leaves and shoots from the outside.Downy mildew is more serous,can penatrate the leaves and eventually kill the plant.
    Grey Mould(botritis)another fungal disease,which thrives in cool damp conditions,covers leaves and stems.improve airflow,drier conditions,remove affected parts.Hope this heps.

5. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    I would also move them away from other pots

6. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Watering in with Cheshunt Compound will help,its an old fungus preventative but works well.

7. veglady

veglady Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I to used Chestnut Compound last year when my seedling were suffering from dampening off it worked well I was pleased with the results