mouldy sage

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by samsoph, Sep 15, 2005.

1. samsoph

samsoph Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi All,
    I Bought some sage about a couple of months ago, and its been ok. After the watering i gave it last week , it appears to have white mould spots growing on most of the leaves.
    Is this because i got the leaves wet (with tap water) while watering, and shouldn't i have done that?
    and should i take all the mouldy leaves off, or will they be ok left on the plant?
    they are in a container.
    Gill

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    If you live in a hard water area - then this may just be the sage getting rid of the lime - the only other thing I can think of is mildew, which a fungicide spray would deal with.

If its little spots on the leaves that are white then methinks its the former, but if more powder and grey, the latter. Brush it off, and see it it recurrs.

3. samsoph

samsoph Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Fran,
    thanks for the reply, i don't think our water is particulary hard, so i'm thinking it may be a kind of mildew then, i will have a check tomorrow...if it stops raining!, and see if it rubs off, thanks againx
    gill

4. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i had some sage that done that rather than spray it i cut it right back new growth was fine no more mildew :D :D

5. samsoph

samsoph Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Brazil,
    Thanks, maybe i should give this a try, what have i got to lose...does it take long to grow back, is there a best time of year to do it?
    Gill

6. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry it took so long to answer you could cut it back now but i have done it in spring it grows back quickly but it will not this time of year good luck :D :D

7. samsoph

samsoph Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks brazil,
    if its still alive next spring i'll give it a go then, thanks for your info
    Gill