Mouldy sweet pea pots

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by shamykebab, Sep 28, 2010.

1. shamykebab

shamykebab Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but here goes!

I recently planted sweet pea seeds in old toilet role tubes with the hope of overwintering them under coldframe this winter. They've come up nicely and I'm very pleased with them. However, I was just inspecting them this morning and noticed a bit of grey, furry mould on the compost. I then checked the tubes and they are covered with thick, grey cloudy mould!

They've been grown in John Innes seed compost, they're in a conservatory at room temperature, they've only been watered when the soil is bone dry.

Will I need to change pots? Or is this normal for toilet role? Will the mould affect the seedlings in any way? I'm quite sad that this has happened :scratch:.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Shamy

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    The cardboard is rotting, perfectly normal,

Your problem may be holding them together, I wedged mine in a deep plastic tub so they hold each other up and as long you dont disturb the compost they will be ok

3. shamykebab

shamykebab Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  4. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    We reviewed a similar thread a few years ago ,a long term solution instead of loo rolls is to use plastic down pipe, cut to the length you like 4"/5"/6" and will last for years.

I had a length left over from when we sited the water butt,

5. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I second everything Pamsdish has said.
    The mould doesn't do any harm but looks unsightly. That's why I stopped using them and use plastic tubes instead.
    Your sweet peas should get on fine. You could harden them off and put them out in the cold frame now.
    Hope they're great and good and early next year.