Mourning Glory

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by DavieM, Jun 6, 2006.

1. DavieM

DavieM Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Growing tips and advice to get the best out of this plant, first time I have tried it, just planted out in garden. any advice welcome.

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I only tried it myself last year. Beware of slugs. Otherwise it seemed to grow by itself. It is easy to take seeds and they are easy to germinate.

It needs a lot of heat to flower, and I am told that the further north you go the less flower you are likely to get, unless it is a really hot summer.

3. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Planted mine out today too, grew a couple last year but have a lot more this year because I grew them from seed.

All I know is they like to be in the sun and need something to climb up.

Good luck with yours, what colour are they DavieM? mine are dark violet, last year I tried the blue ones.

A friend told me they like to be in the morning sun but I don't know if that is true or not :D

4. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I grew them from seed last year and they covered my 7 foot trellis.

I have also grown them this year, but needn't have bothered, last years seeds have germinated EVERYWHERE even in the lawn.

5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Mine [grown from last years' mixed colours] have been growing well, have been in pots in the garden for some time but only just beginning to flower since the sun condescended to come out about a week ago.
    Yes, they show to their best advantage in the morning sun, the individual flowers are quite short lived. That's where they get their name, I suppose! [​IMG]

6. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Planted nine out yesterday and two have been eaten already!! :mad:

7. DavieM

DavieM Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, mine is Blue colour, and I will watch for the slugs, seems to have taken ok, and is in the sunniest part of the garden so here's hopeing.