mouse in the shed

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by hedgefog, Oct 10, 2018.

1. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    hi

Found some mouse droppings on some fabric lying around in the shed. So mouse must be coming in and out into our shed. The shed is very old, and has a few holes here and there.

And shed floor has some holes too.

Would this be health hazard? Should I put some mouse traps and poisons trying to eradicated them?

I put some ultra sonic pest repellent connected to the mains in the shed. What would you do?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,635
    It will be very difficult to keep them out, they will just keep coming especially over winter. You could put your fabric into tin boxes to prevent them getting on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,707
      I agree - even if you get a few with traps, others will keep coming, especially over winter. But they are not a health hazard in themselves. Just remove or secure anything that you don't want to have nibbled. Old biscuit tins are good for storage, and I bought a metal dustbin with lid for keeping the dog's sacks of dry food in!

• Like Like x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,996
        Plus keep hessian & plastic mesh sacks, fleece, garden string, rope, hanging basket liners, rolls of bin bags, kneeling pads, parasols, wellies, gardening gloves, anything in cardboard packets, etc., etc. out of their reach.

• Agree Agree x 1
          Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
        • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
          +69
          Thank you for great advice and info.

Yes, I did throw out all the fabrics, newspaper and old wood cut offs to the bin. I am keep clearing the shed full of junks. Seems will take a few days if not weeks.

Had a freight when encountered with the mouse dropping for the first time. Glad was wearing gloves, and binned them all.

• Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,225
          I have this same problem with my garage which has a common door with the house. Mice find their way in every winter. And then proceed to sink their teeth into anything they can. At first I tried humane prevention, but then I just "lost the plot" as it didn't seem to be working. And I was also concerned that they would find their way into the house. So I started using traps.
          More do keep coming as others are removed. But eventually it does tend to stop happening.

• hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
          +69
          Omg must throw all the gloves lying around in the shed too? Because likely mouse would have got in there?

Wellies as well? Not sure where to keep the wellies usually full of muds underneath.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +117,298
          • Like Like x 1
          • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
            Ratings:
            +31,466
            You mean like this cat i got on cctv the other day

vlcsnap-2018-10-10-12h39m49s703.jpg
            I'm going in
            vlcsnap-2018-10-10-12h41m01s953.jpg
            I got him
            vlcsnap-2018-10-10-12h42m36s734.jpg
            I'll now play with him
            vlcsnap-2018-10-10-12h42m52s406.jpg

vlcsnap-2018-10-10-12h43m34s078.jpg
            And his mate had to come and find food next day, please note not house mouse but wood mouse
            Wood Mouse.jpg

• Like Like x 1
            • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
              +69
              Omg, cats not catching mouse anymore, but play with them? Times must have changed :)

• hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
              +69
              I told my wife that we got mouse in the shed, what are we gonna have to do? Any good ideas? And she laughed at me saying, "Mouse is everywhere, wherever there are trees, plants and grass. And even in some houses. As long as they are not in the house, should be OK."

• Like Like x 1
              • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                Ratings:
                +48,873
                I basically accept them as a fact of life in the garden - it is when they get into the house that it is a problem. We occasionally get them in our outhouse, which is a pain as we store some foodstuffs in there and that means the whole lot have to be thrown out. The most recent time, I reckon it was due to the ladies of the house leaving the outhouse door open day and night - - essentially an invite to a mouse, to a nice warm, sheltered place with stuff to nibble!

Once you have them, the only effective way of getting rid of them is traps; in our last house, we had a real problem and the only reason it became a real problem is because we faffed about with humane methods first. All this did is give them time to breed, and we ended up in big trouble - - we had to write off a three piece suite amongst other things.

If you get them in the house, do not mess about - neck snappers is the only way to go, and load them with peanut butter (they love the stuff!)

• hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
                +69
                Yes, they are not nice. I went to the shed and kept chucking out gloves, papers, boxes and anything fabric made. Bin is already half full since emptied on Monday.

So far no sign of them in the house, but if any sign of the trace is found, then will have get the ultimate measures.

• Like Like x 1
                • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +5,078
                  Mousetraps baited with peanut butter is the answer. Works for me.

• Warwick lad

Warwick lad Gardener

Semi-retired
                  Ratings:
                  +104
                  As a newbie I'm catching up on some older posts, we have mice in the outhouse, now I was born on a farm, worked on a farm until 19/20 years old. I know the mess and danger that they and rats can do.
                  As we will be moving to a farm soon, no doubt there will be both there because of the horses, feed, chickens etc.

I've been taking a look on youtube at homemade traps, both humane and killer type. I came across this quote from a trap manufacture...........

DEAD MOUSE or RAT... now what? This is a Quote From Victor "A mouse trapped in a Victor® mouse trap should never be touched directly. Instead, follow these directions:
                  STEP 1 — Put on a pair of rubber gloves.
                  STEP 2 — Spray the dead mouse and the immediate area with a disinfectant or bleach-and-water mixture.
                  STEP 3 — Place the mouse in a plastic bag. You may save the trap for future use or throw it out as well.
                  STEP 4 — Place any mouse-soiled objects in the bag including faeces, nesting material or food. STEP 5 — Seal the bag. Do not push out the extra air from the bag, doing so may spread germs, bacteria or viruses that the mouse is carrying.
                  STEP 6 — Place the sealed bag in another bag and seal it, too.
                  STEP 7 — Throw the bag in the trash.
                  STEP 8 — Wash gloved hands with soap and water or spray disinfectant on them.
                  STEP 9 — Remove gloves and throw them into the trash.
                  STEP 10 — Wash your hands after removing the gloves."

Now I know that vermin carry a lot of diseases, in fact, I don't wish to worry or frighten folks but you may want to read this from Rentokil.

Rodent-Borne Diseases | Rentokil

Please stay safe.
                  BJ