Mouse Tail or Rat Tail?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by dowtish, Apr 27, 2024.

1. dowtish

dowtish Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    I originally thought this was a Rat Tail Cactus but now wondering if it is actually a Mouse Tail Cactus. Anyone able to give a confident id? To me they seem similar from doing internet searches. It would be nice if anyone could educate me on how to distinguish when they're not actually flowering. You can stroke the spines on this cactus without getting spiked, they're soft. Not sure if that helps.

Cheers IMG_20240427_112553687_HDR.jpg

2. Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +19,246
    A Rat tail cactus is Disocactus flagelliformis. It has big pink flowers.
    Mouse tail cactus is Rhipsalis baccifera horrida. Rhipsalis baccifera has long smooth trailing stems but the 'horida' variety has soft spines.
    R. baccifera (smooth and horrida varieties) has tiny almost inconspicuous flowers, followed by white berries, giving it the common name of 'Mistletoe cactus'

I don't usually use common names myself, and with these two cacti the names mouse tail and rat tail can be interchangeable ... but the botanical names are indisputable.
    From your photo I can't tell which one it is.

• Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
    • dowtish

dowtish Gardener

Ratings:
      +69
      @Michael Hewett

Trying to pin point what it is can be is difficult from internet searches as images thrown up are not always accurate. I was hoping it was Disocactus flagelliformis (Rat Tail) because of the hope of getting the large pink flowers. This gents video {} got me thinking it is most likely a Rhipsalis baccifera horrida (Mouse Tail). What he's displaying looks very close to my plant.

If I'm lucky I suppose mistletoe type berries aren't anything to be scoffed at :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1