Moving 11 yr old Christmas tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Nattie75, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Nattie75

Nattie75 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    Can anyone tell me what chances do I have of moving this tree to a new location and it not dying ? It has outgrown our small garden but we know of someone with a huge garden that would love it but we are concerned about its chances of surviving such a move after 11yrs in our garden , any advice greatly received . Thanks

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      @Nattie75 I found this video...I think there's going to be more work on moving it :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        [​IMG] @Nattie75 I know you have a new home for it and it would be a shame otherwise after 11yrs of maturity but have you considered just cutting it down :scratch:

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Hello @Nattie75. To be honest unless you have access to the likes of a seriously big JCB or similar I honestly don't think there is a hope of moving your tree. That said you could always try I suppose as the alternative,if the tree is in the way, is to fell it anyway. The best time to attempt the move would be about October or March, certainly not now as it's too warm. You could maybe do the preparation by digging round it as described in the video now but don't cut the roots under the tree.
        Personally I wouldn't as even if by some miracle you manage to move the tree with it's huge root ball you then have to secure it in it's new position. There would be a high risk of it falling over before it had had time to reattach itself.
        Years ago I moved a similar tree about 1/2 the size of yours. It never really recovered and looked pretty sad. After a couple of years I cut it down and regretted all the wasted effort on what turned out to be a lost cause.

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
          Ratings:
          +3,499
          they dont like to be moved. it will die if you do move it. you could trim it

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,486
            Nattie75, you can't move that conifer; far, far too big. If you cut it back it won't grow back.

I would take it out or cut it down to leave a 6' to 9' bare trunk and use it to plant a clematis montanna on it.:)

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
              Last edited: Jun 2, 2018